Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Owners (help)

StinKy

I have a 16 HP Sunstar (probably 1988 or '89) with a 48" deck. I paid $650 for it last spring (only had 290 hrs on it) and have put a few hundred bucks in it making repairs that I knew would have to be done, such as rebuilding the deck (since they left it sit outside the last couple years!), new battery, etc. I don't know how hard it would be to work on the governor, but even if you spent a little money on it you're getting a good deal, especially with the dozer blade. They are a well-built tractor. Rodney

I have located a Sunstar. Deck & dozer blade (both good shape) come with it. Has a governor problem, engine wants to go full throttle regardless where control is set, and the throttle cable IS connected to the carb. It's been painted (I use the term loosely) red. Grille is missing. Hydrostat works. They want $600 for it. Is a governor job deep surgery on a Kohler twin? Thanks for any info. Dick

The governor could be as simple as the arm is loose from the governor shaft, or has slipped from the proper position. I picked up a 917 that didn't run right and I just needed to reset the governor arm on the shaft and then tune the carburetor for a working governor. Runs great. Good Luck! Mike S.

Hi, These engines had a problem if they were overheated. The aluminum would expand and contract and the governor shaft would come loose. The problem is caused by overheating. After a couple of cycles, the shaft the governor turns on would work into the crankcase. then the pieces would break and fall in the crankcase. I believe I wrote an article on replacing the shaft and pinning it and replacing the governor with out splitting the crankcase. If someone can't find it I can redo it. It can be done without splitting the case. One cylinder needs to be removed and the piston left in the cylinder. Then the governor is worked up a wire threaded up through the oil fill pipe and out the cylinder hole in the crankcase and onto the new shaft. If needed I can provide more details. I have done it but it has been several years ago. 600.00 for a Sun Star would be a steal even if you had to put a new engine in. We sell a kit to change the M20 which is no longer available to the CH20 Includes everything including the drive shaft, exhaust system, required pto and clutch parts, wiring, and mounting adapter. 2395 for everything including complete detailed step by step instructions. We just sold a nice 20 Sun Star 60" with a new CH 20 in it for 4000. Keep in mind that the M20 is no longer manufactured and short blocks went up 25% August 1st. Good luck, Al Eden.