Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Larger mower deck possible?

CVSB10JCS

Has anyone or does anyone think a larger (than 48") deck is doable for even faster cutting on 18HP Soverign? Ideas - comments?

Edited by CVSB10JCS

I don't know how it would work. First off the wheel base of the tractor will determine if anything bigger will even fit. Then, to knowledge the only deck that MAY have similar mounting is from a sun star, and they are shaft driven.   I have no first hand experience with sun stars, they are just from the same era.

The newer decks, post sovereign, use a different front hitch. 

Short answer, Yes.

The Sovereign I believe is capable of running a larger deck.  BUT I don't know where to begin.  Because of the way the PTO is configured, it needs to be a left hand discharge.  The only larger deck that has a left hand discharge is the Sunstar or Legacy at 60".  If it fits between the wheelbase, it may be possible to remove the gearbox from the Sunstar or Legacy deck, maybe you could make it work with some creative fabrication.  I think a 52"- 54" deck would be the hot ticket but they are all right hand discharge.

I know it would be easy to convert a Sunstar 48" deck to a Sovereign, with using a bad 48" for the center arbor and the front axle hitch brackets.    If you can fit the 60" deck under the Sovereign it should be able to make it work.

Edited by MikeES

The Sunstar or early Legacy decks would be an easy conversion.  I nabbed this pic of a fella who is running a sunstar 60 under his Broadmoor. (or says he is, anyhow)  Shows the conversion from gearbox to pulley arbor.

590b63753d98f_SunstardeckonBroadmoor.jpg.11ec8d1bf963877ce77abfa79960707b.jpg

axle location and stearing would be a issue you can put a sunstar deck under a 7100 series but you would need to widen the front axle so you could turn with out the tires hitting the deck, and move the axle forward for more clearance. as for making it run under there you would need to do like the pic above and make a double pulley center spindle and change the belt routing on the deck to match a 48. I had done this on a 7100 that i had a 3cyl. kubota diesel in. the frame was streched 3 inches and axle widened 3 inches. it worked good

I am sorry.  I think it would be easier , cheaper and more likely to work longer term to get a sunstar or a newer equivalent . However some folks like engineering problems to solve.  Then;  the answer is different. 

Colin