Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 Questions, Onan plugs & wires, and St/Gen charge

SmilinSam

1) Found out why the Onan in my 720 was running so bad. One wire was not hooked into the dist. right, one wire is copper, the other is graphite, two different types of plugs and one was bad. What are the correct plug wires made of? and what are the correct plugs to use? 2)Charging problems in my HB-116. I've swapped the generator for one I know works- no difference. Swapped in two regulators now and no difference. Keyswitch maybe? ..or amp gauge?? ... BAttery(it is new)?? Every thing works except the gauge shows a discharge when lights are on and when cranking, and battery is not getting charged back up. I'll have to play with this again later after I get all my packing and shipping done this week. Sam

Sam, My manual for the 720 calls for a champion H-8 or Allis Chalmers No. 206738, gapped at .025in. or .635mm. It says nothing about the wires, but I thought it was unusual that on mine they just stick into the coil-no ends on them! They are, I'm sure, original, and they work fine. They are spongy, but I'm not ready to unload a bunch for the Onan wires. Can't help with the other problems. Sorry! Good luck! Dave

I would think any good quality plug wire would suffice. As for the connections at the coil, they are similar to some spark plug caps where you twist the wire into the spike. There are spikes in the coil that you push the cut wire end into and then torque down the cap nuts. The ferrules compress the wires into the spikes much like a hydraulic compression fitting. The replacement for the Champion H-8 is the H10C and I've had nothing but trouble with them. I just burnt another plug up tonite. Paul

Hi Sam, use copper wires. Also use an NGK B-6L, and if that fails use and NGK xr-4. I think I responded to paul on this. We ported and polished, and raised the compression on the cckb we have. We run the x-r4's in our unit. They work well. We had a set of them in for about 2 years, no problems. I do not even use a champion plug in my nieces go cart. We saw many problems with them as oe equipment in sleds.