Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

USED REGENT, TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY?

HI. I AM NEW TO THE CLUB. I LIVE IN SOUTHEASTERN PA ON A ONE ACRE MOSLTY FLAT LOT. I AM THINKING OF PURCHASING A USED SIMPLICITY REGENT, 14 HP, 38 INCH, FOOT HYDRO WITH TWIN BAGGER. IT HAS A BRIGGS VANGUARD ENGINE. IT HAS THE CURRENT ROUNDED HOOD DESIGN BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE FULL ROLLER SYSTEM. THE DEALER (JD ONLY) DOES NOT KNOW THE AGE BUT FIGURES IT TO BE ABOUT A 98 MODEL. DOES THE ENGINE/HP HELP TO DETERMINE THE AGE? I AM REPLACING A 16 YEAR OLD GEAR CRAFTSMAN THAT FINALLY BLEW UP. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT RE: THE HYDRO TRANS? THE CRAFTSMAN HAD A LOUSY TURNING RADIUS. I SEE THE CURRENT REGENT IS LISTED AS HAVING A 14 INCH TURNING RADIUS. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE TURNING RADIUS COULD BE THE SAME ON THE USED MODEL I AM LOOKING AT? WE GET ALOT OF LEAVES EACH FALL. IS THIS BAGGER SYSTEM WELL SUITED FOR LEAF PICK-UP? IT DOES HOT HAVE AN HOUR METER AND I AM CONCERNED ABOUT HOW LONG IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN SERVICE FOR THE PREVIOUS OWNER. CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DETERMINE THE AGE? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP. TOM

97 or 98 could be correct I think in 99 they went to a kohler engine.I have a 97 regent that works great.The only real problem I had was the head gasket went bad. Fixed that myself.I also added the roller kit.

Don't know about the details on the newer models, I'm shure someone here can answer them. As for buying it, if you can pick it up for a [reasonable] amount,get it. Always be on the lookout for a deal. Reasonable ,as if you don't like it you can resale and get back your investment. Other than that, welcome to the club,Dave.

The briggs engines are coded. Look at the model serial and code numbers. The first two digits of the code are the year it was produced.

The Regent is a great lawn tractor but never expect hard work out of it, I have a 2000 Regent with a kohler and that kohler is the crappiest motor I have ever had, the briggs would be better, you need rollers if your yard is bumpy otherwise it will "scalp" your yard, if you have any more questions feel free to ask me, thanks,-BradW