Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home in 11 hours

MPH

Marty, Glad you made it home alright. If you're not familar with the 3314, check the dash for an "extra" switch. It may look like a manual lift with the handle missing, but it could have an electric lift.

powermax_paul
Marty, Glad you made it home OK. Have supper and a cold beer. I'll lookat your pics in the morning. Paul

I hope time proves Sam wrong in his saying a sucker is born every min, I might have been a lollipop. Things look better under a foot of snow. The 3314 is missing the top half?? of the hydro so my two engines won't fix it. has good tires and tight steering, manual lift with no handle and a manual front PTO and center PTO and rear lift. Engine has a hint of compression but no starter/gen. Paul, thankyou for telling me the blade is worth 300-400 hundred on the 4040, shes pretty rough lookin, no 3pt or rear PTO, gas cap gone, but tank looks clean and dry inside, no inline fuel filter, switch is busted up, seat is rusted metal, needs lots of TLC to say the least but seems fixable. 6 outta 8 tires were flat, all but one held air all the way home. After I read the board and eat I'll try to down load the pic I took today..Thanks for all the helpful info yesterday..MPH pics at home http://a9.cpimg.com/image/C5/F5/9118149-ab56-02000174-.jpg

Checked the oil in my 'new' onan and it was very thin and smelled from gas, drained it and am thinkin about flushing engine with diesel if the starter works. Did that to the 14 hp gilson cause the oil was gross and it seemed to clean it up nice. Is gas in the oil a problem excisting I need to find before I try to fire it up??thanks..MPH

Ahh, Paul. If Marty goes right to an electric pump - he'll miss out on a valuable part of the PowerMax experience. You know: trying to get both halves of the fuel pump to seal properly, always making sure to have a new diaphragm on hand, dropping the choke cable retainer clip down into the blower housing - (I've gotten pretty good at fishing parts out through the flywheel fins) and on and on. Murphy's law always applies times 2 for PowerMax owners. We've got our own wing at Murphy's World Headquarters. Just for the record Marty, all my tractors have (had) the original diaphragm fuel pumps and they work well, but require periodic maintenance, for sure. If all goes well you can expect to change the diaphragm every 100 hours. Kohler fuel pump kit -part #230675- is the way to go - half the cost of the identical kit with Onan's name on it. I think your 4040 and blade look pretty decent, really. You'll have that thing running in no time. Just a shame it doesn't have the rear PTO and 3-point hitch - that really limits the tractor's usefulness. Of course, you don't need a rear PTO for a front end loader - uh oh, another road trip! These PowerMax's are awesome machines and you'll be amazed at how well they are built and the amount of work that they can do. Good luck and enjoy the 'experience'. ;o) Jeff

Brent_Baumer
I think the top half of the hydro you're missing is the pump. The part that leaks around the pintle shaft on all the Vickers. President DLC probabably has one, but they are high $. Congrats on your find. Brent

powermax_paul
MPH, Gas in oil is likely caused by cracked fuel pump diaphram. Easiest solution is to leave old pump in place and put on an electric pump. Paul