Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sam >>> Sickle Bars

Dutch

Sam, Just acquired two sickle bars in like new condition. One has the planetary drive, the other doesn't. What is the reason for the change to plantary drive? Are they different in operation? Will either work on any model large frame tractor? You're the only person I know who has experience with both.

Kent, Is that you posting under another name? I usually wear gloves when handling that kind of stuff. Only damage done was to my manicure. Learned my lesson - Now I know better! Talk about feeling stupid >> I was using my hydro all day on Saturday, then went to the store with my daughter in her car. When we came out, I got behind the wheel, backed out, shoved the console mounted shift lever forward (into "park"), pressed the gas and wondered why I wasn't moving.

Guess the running boards were not safe enough, thus the kill switch under the seat to keep the common sence impaired from become extinct..MPH

No problem, Dutch, I'm sure you could find some lawyer willing to sue for the physical pain and suffering involved, much less the emotional distress and damage caused.... Now I'm beginning to understand why Simplicity started using running boards... once they went to hydrostats being so common (no clutching involved) the "Hey STUPID, sit down, pick up your feet and put them on the toepads before engaging the hydrostatic drive lever" safety sticker obscured the more important stickers like how to start and operate the tractor... Only solution to prevent you from running over your own two feet was running boards -- I knew there must be a good engineering reason for this change... Prior to the hydrostats, you had to sit down and put at least your right leg up to operate the clutch. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;<) Kent

Know what you mean about safety switches, MPH. A little war story to illustrate why I feel the way I do... The radar transmitter on an F-15 fighter is so poweful that it could literally "microwave" things directly in front of it.... So, the F-15 comes equipped with a Weight-On-Wheels (WOW) switch that prevents the transmitter from operating with weight on the nose wheel (i.e. on the ground). Nice safety feature, right? Well it just so happens that the transmitter is a very problematic and expensive component ($250,000 plus). It it one of the most frequent failures on the airplane. Often, the problems seem intermittent, since the computer-controlled radar is integrated with about every other system on the airplane. So, you should try troubleshooting it. You can't duplicate problems in the system, since you can't turn it on with the airplane on the ground. It's a single seat aircraft (unless it's a trainer or the special-purpose E model) and the mechanic can't even fly in the back seat to observe what's going on. Once he has "fixed" it, the mechanic can't test his repair -- he has to call the pilot, schedule and launch a sortie, just to confirm the repair worked.... If he didn't fix the problem, he has to go through the whole process again. Each time you launch the airplane, you're probably costing the taxpayer $25,000 - $50,000 at least.... Closest analogy I can imagine trying to solve a "miss" in a race car's engine, when you're not allowed to start, drive, nor even ride in the car -- all you have to go on is what the driver tells you.... Safety switches -- I love 'em and hate 'em at the same time!

My educated guess is that the planetary kinda was built to work with the newer PTO clutch setup that came out on the 3400 series tractors. I don't think they will interchage on the older machines , nor the older mowers to the newer machines because of the PTO differences. Sam

Dutch, Yep, Nifty PTO"S...........Now you know why I put the cone clutch and hydro on the B-110. Kent, Of all the tractors that come through my place, I estimate that 10% have had all the safeties bypassed, 70% have at least 1 safety bypassed, and 20% are still with all the safeties functioning. While you are on the "Stupid" subject, I sat on my 720 with the engne running trying to make it move and couldn't figure out why no go. After about 2-3 minutes of this It dawned on me that there is a 3 speed gearbox on this that I put into neutral the day before to push the tractor around. Uhhhhhh.....Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Thanks Sam. I speculated that clearing the running boards or improved operation may have been the reason for the change. Looks like I was wrong (again). Already committed to 3 other sickles. May have to get a B-series afterall.

Well, Dutch, you'll finally be able to roll up your pants and get your feet into some serious tractorin', if you get a B series.

If you feel the need,, I do have a set of full footplates off a AC Homelite that will bolt right to the bottom of the B-110/210 series(Homelite used the same frame). All you would have to do is expand the hole thats already been cut in these to make room for the B-series PTO. Ha HA Ha.........

Sam, The planetary unit is a #1690030. According to Simplicity it replaced the #990785 and was the last ever offered for the 7100 series tractors. The guy was laughing when he said, "Oh, that's the one with the orange bar and all the warning decals." I had a chance to examine and compare these sickle bars this morning. It appears the drive pulley on the planetary unit sits a few inches higher than the other unit in relation to the axle hitch points. Plus, the drive pulley on the planetary unit is stationary to afford a consistant PTO to pulley belt angle. I really appreciate knowing that old fashioned footplates are available for the modern tractors, and that running boards are available for old fashioned tractors. Thanks! http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/both-a.jpg

Sam, If I remove my running boards, do you really think I can do away with the modern remote operated cone clutch and use one of these nifty PTOs? Wow....... BTW - Simplicity forgot one decal..... "Hey STUPID - if you grab the sickle bar watch you don't cut your fingers when you move it." http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/b1-700-725.JPG