Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jrmorrill

Frame repair suggestions at BGB connection

jrmorrill

I've torn apart an early B-10 which has a B-1 loader and discovered what I've read online is true - the frames tend to crack at the junction with the bevel gear box (BGB). Below you can see the crack. Only one side of the frame is cracked but whatever I do to reinforce it shall be done to both sides.

So, what are your suggestions?

1) Just weld the crack up and call it day?

2) Add a 3/16" plate to the inner or outer side, maybe extend 4" or so along the frame rail?

3) Plate over the inner corner with a 90* bar with holes cut to accommodate the bolts connecting the BGB?

... what other thoughts do folks have here?

IMG_8274-1024.jpg

IMG_8271-1024.jpg

Tom45

If you are not going to use the loader I would be inclined to grind out the weld and crack and re-weld it.  If you are going to use the loader, reinforcement is called for. 

• Like 1

Horvik

Hello;

Considering all options, I would problee go for grinding a V into the crack real well, then laying a good root pass in there. As a backup, see if you can hunt down a reasonably priced frame used.

Hope this helps

bkassulke

If it was mine I would just v the crack out and get a good and hot weld in on it, than v the other side up to the penetration of the first weld and repeat the hot welding process on the other side.

720nut

All of the above but would also put gussets inside so as to allow access to thee bolts.

If memory serves me didn't these loaders have frame connectors that reinforced the frame?

Then too depends on what you intend to do with loader, show piece just weld it up, if your going to work it reinforce.  

Just my $.02

gwiseman

I'm with most: V then weld frame is good repair for normal use or show. Check bgb bolts yearly to ensure tight (hairline cracks can occur if loose). If you're remounting the loader or planning to use heavy implements weld the gussets too. 

Brettw

The original frame and weld lasted about 50 years.  I would think a good professional weld will last another 50.  If you put a loader on and work the heck out of it, then maybe some added gussets.  Otherwise, me thinks it would be just fine properly welded.  JMHO  That and 2 cents will get you pretty much next to nuthin' nowadays.

Bill725

This is the weak part of the frame in all of the BGB tractors. I suggest grinding and re-welding both the inside and outside of the frame and grind smooth the outside after weld. If you intend to continue using the a loader, I would fabricate bol-on reinforcing plates. Most likely never happen again.

GregB

There was a post by "thedaddycat" on the old site detailing how he reinforced that joint.  Took a quick look and could not find it.  Seem to remember he re-welded from the out side the plated the inside to reinforce the joint.

jrmorrill

I've completed the repair to the frame. Here's a rundown of what I did.

I notched the crack and placed a solid weld into it.

I also cut two 1/8" thick pieces of angle iron. It took a little trimming to fit well in the inner corners of the frame. But the pieces should help to reinforce the frame. Hopefully it doesn't create excess stress on the BGB and cause those connections to fail and crack the BGB housing.

IMG_8350-800.jpg

IMG_8592-800.jpg

IMG_8353-800.jpg

IMG_8589-1024.jpg