Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repair a steering rod?

jrmorrill

Another wonder from my early B-10 is the steering rod. The machine had a loader and clearly it was heavily loaded. The prior owners must have had enormous arms. Just look at the poor steering rod (below). I'm considering reshaping it and perhaps attempting to sleeve it with a larger diameter shaft to add strength. 

Oh, and I plan to upgrade the steering spindles with thrust needle bearings to help make steering easier in the future.

Should I attempt a repair? Or source something used online? Or just fabricate a whole new part with stronger stock?

IMG_8263-1024.jpg

IMG_8264-1024.jpg

Some of the later tractors had a heavier (ie stronger) steering rod. I had one on a 3212. Put a want ad in the classifieds and see what comes up! There are a LOT of parts tractors out there!

Tom

Or have a local machine shop make you up a new one. It's not like it's made out of magic steel or anything. Go up one size and have them thread the ends.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:28 PM, jrmorrill said:

Another wonder from my early B-10 is the steering rod. The machine had a loader and clearly it was heavily loaded. The prior owners must have had enormous arms. Just look at the poor steering rod (below). I'm considering reshaping it and perhaps attempting to sleeve it with a larger diameter shaft to add strength. 

Oh, and I plan to upgrade the steering spindles with thrust needle bearings to help make steering easier in the future.

Should I attempt a repair? Or source something used online? Or just fabricate a whole new part with stronger stock?

There are several used steering rods on member parts shelves.  I bent one recently and replaced from my stock. You could straighten and use for a time but I'd replace.

The pressed-in 'ball joint' on the steering draglink on my 6211 pulled out of the socket in the rod and though it goes back together, it keeps poppuing out;    the ends are not threaded (ball joint at each end is pressed in), so it looks like the whole drag link needs to be replaced.  I think it's an obsolete part (p/n 1668663?).  I haven't been able to find one yet, so I was planning to improvise by cutting off the ball/socket end of the draglink I have, welding on a section of threaded rod, and then buying a threaded ball joint for ~ $5 on ebay.  Does this sound feasible?

Yes. I believe others here have made similar revisions. I've been lucky finding couple of those ends in parts boxes at sales etc and a few used ones that are usable.