Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Time to Rebuild Simplicity 7790

mswyka2

This is the year that our Simplicity 7790 finally has to come out of service for a rebuild.  It has about 3000 hours on the clock and has been very reliable and while it still runs strong, oil consumption is  unacceptable.  I have never rebuilt a diesel before and checking locally I have yet to find anyone else who has rebuilt one of  these engines.  Does anyone know of a reliable service for rebuilding these Lombardini engines?  - preferably in Southeast NY or northern NJ.  I have a manual, but the information in it is pretty thin.  I could navigate the metric conversions, but there is precious little text to offer the level of explanation that I really want.

These engines were also used on van trailer refrigeration units.   Check with the truck AND trailer service places.

8 hours ago, MikeES said:

These engines were also used on van trailer refrigeration units.   Check with the truck AND trailer service places.

Thank you, we do have a Thermoking service center down the road.  I will check with them.

In making inquiries into availability of repair parts and service center options it has been suggested that this tractor could be repowered with a new Kohler diesel.  I am interested to know if anyone has taken this route and what might have been discovered along the way.

This current Kohler diesel actually does look similar to the Lombardini in the 7790's. 

http://www.lombardiniusa.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KD625-2#

If this is the same or similar block, it could be used, but changes would have to be made such as the air filter is too bulky, the remote fuel filter would have to be relocated, and the engine shroud would have to be removed to accommodate the driveshaft.

I read that the rings are interchangeable with Mazda diesel rings.

"Rings are the same as a Mazda 626 Diesel, part # 2M4210." — http://freemansgarage.com/blog/?p=272

$5000! Oh wow! Didn't see a price anywhere. I would look for a used one on a trailer in that caseO.o