Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Power Inverter/Converter

Kent
Coincidentally, I saw the following two 12 volt inverters at B.J.'s Wholesale, yesterday: 1) 1,000 watts--don't remember the price, but less than 2). 2) 2,500 watts--$399.00

JCS
I too tried the cigar lighter air pump and find it is way too long. I would like to get something to hook to car/truck/tractor battery and then plug the air compressor into that. I thought there was a discussion on here and amp/volts/? but cant find it. My compressor says 8 amps on the motor and I want to run a circular saw and it says 9 amps. So what do I need?

ka9bxg
Don't try to use a inverter for a air compressor.It will not work I tryed to run my air compressor on a 4000 watt generator and it would not work.Takes to much to start the motor.Bob

carter
About $300. Northern Tool has a 1000 watt inverter which is the minimun for 9amps. The problen is you have way less than that available in the garden tractor system so it will only be good for the life of the battery. A typical alternator or generator on a garden tractor puts out 20 amps max at 14 volts That is only 280 watts. There will be a loss due to the inefficiency of the inverter so you will be lucky to get 200 usable watts. Better stay with the 12volt stuff. Ron

Dutch
Ron is absolutely right. You would be limited to battery capacity. Plus, when the battery started to drain, you may burn up the tractor alternator by placing a heavy load on it. If the electric saw you plan to use is 110 volts and 9 amps, that's 990 watts. If you want your tractor to power electric tools, you're better off hitching up a belt driven generator. If you want to go the inverter route, hook up an auxilary alternator and a large battery or bank. Like you would do for a "start all".

The problem is the current needed to start an electric motor. It is MUCH higher than what the motor is rated at. That is why some generators, even 4000 watts may not start the motor. The power invertor will not work for the applications stated.

Marion_Kerr
Bob, If your air compressor has a 110 volt motor on it, I would think the 4000 watt generator/alternator (whichever it is) would start it and run it. Is your compressor a 220 volt maybe??