Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I've got problems

dhoadley

I've got more problems than I care to admit to, but today's problem is the transmission on the Simp 4108; 'Ole Reliable. She's nothing special but she cuts the grass every week. Well, today I started to cut: around the edge in 1st, turn around and put it into 2nd, let out the clutch and... nothin'. The indignity:$: I had to finish with a walk-behind mower. I own 2 1/2 Broadmoors and an A/C 414S and none of them work. If it wasn't for crisis management, I'd have no management skills whatsoever.O.o

The shifting had been a little balky the past couple of weeks. So I look underneath and the belt is still in place, though on the wrong side of one of the belt-tender wires. I put that back as it should, put it in gear got underneath and the input pulley is turning but not the wheels. This trans is an H-pattern 3-speed and has always felt solid. I'm hoping for a key or pin that let loose. I'll tear into it tomorrow and take pictures as I go. I know this is a model not much discussed and maybe someone will benefit from my documentation of my floundering around in there. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanx, Dave

• Like 1

Make sure the key is still in the shaft that the drive pulley goes on on the transmission. I have had that lose out a couple of times.

The patient.

P7130487.JPG.aba5f3f1abc30885d664e11a23999723.JPG

So I went over to dig into this issue bright and early. First thing to do is remove the wheel weights.

DSC02045.JPG.2ef0d104bfe369560f741dd81de002c2.JPG

I start on the left side and look what I find inside.

DSC02044.JPG.682bb4561393d21784fbbf7afa22ca82.JPG

I LOVE easy fixes. I specialize in easy fixes. This is right down my alley. The C-clip was loose so I squeezed it tight and reinstalled key and clip. Checked the other wheel just to be sure and was done in short order. Thank you for your support. Dave

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 3

If we could all be so lucky! One thing is, you know that rim will come off the shaft if you need it to.&:)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

If we could all be so lucky! One thing is, you know that rim will come off the shaft if you need it to.&:)

Good point...I have some rototiller tines I hope this happens to.

• Like 2

I have eight Simplicities and non of them work.  I tell my wife, "The purpose of having old tractors is not to do work, but to make them run."