Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

End Play and ID measuring

johnmonkey

I'm slowly tearing down my model 19 magnamatic. There is about 1/8th of an inch play on the crankshaft. The play is "in and out" as you grab the crank and push/pull it that is the play I'm talking about. There is no play "up or down" on the crankshaft. My first question is, is that normal for the crank to move in and out 1/8th of an inch. Second question what tools are there to measure inside diameter. I have a raft full of machine tools but I have not found a telescoping gage. Is there another type of tool to measure inside diameter? Thanks for your help John H

I think the crankshaft endplay is something on the order or 0.002 to 0.008". It is adjusted via a bearing cap assortment of different thickness gaskets. See if you can get your hands on a B & S Service Manual. It is explained pretty well in the Manual. Roy

To tighten mine up I take out the gasket and just use silicone.Does not leak and takes most of the play out.Other wise you might have to replace the front bearing(not cheep).Bob

John Roy is right on with the gaskets briggs also has shims available my father used them in his 8hp cast model 200401 which is the same as the model 19 and 19D. Sorry Bob but I would never use RTV my fathers engine was put together that way and RTV had run down on the inside of the crank cover and sealed off the oil hole for the crank sleeve bearing. Thus starving the bearing of oil. Jeff