Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 hard starting

john

I have a great 4040 and love it, but!!!! if it sits for a week or longer it just hates to start . A little gas down the carb and off it goes, new filter in line and has gas in it, could the carb be draing down or what, wellcome any and all ideas. Once started it will keep going and if i start it daily or even weekly it starts just fine. Thanks for your ideas John

I finally fixed my 4041 with the same problem. I took my carb off and cleaned the lady-beetles out of the fuel bowl. Works great now! You could have a weak fuel pump or sticky float/needle valve. Paul

John, I agree with Paul - clean your carburetor and check for proper operation and height of the float. Also check for proper operation/leaks with the fuel pump (may need a new diaphragm). Here's a trick - that sounds really stupid, and may not be the safest thing - but, after rebuilding the carburetor or fuel pump, I always blow into the fuel tank to "pressurize" the system. Starts right up after that and saves the starter. Sounds like you have a good excuse as to why you need to get a little seat time on your PowerMax everyday! Jeff

Fuel pump on my 4040 has a piece of wire attached to what remind me of the primer we had on 4 cyl wis. on the hay baler. I know the elec wire isn't standard but was the primer??MPH

Marty, The wire is probably attached to the priming lever on the fuel pump. There is definitely a priming lever. Jeff

Thanks again Jeff, by the way, your method of applying presure to the fuel system could be mistaken as "sniffing" if you lived in a bush village up here, lastest way kids are useing to toast thier brain cell. MPH