Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

High Lift Blades for a 50" deck?

bruker1

I have a Prestige with the 50" deck. I run the standard blades that came with the deck and a set of gator blades but I would like to find a set of high lift blades. Any recommendations? 

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I thought "Gator" blades were a high lift blade.

Am I mistaken?

This is an interesting subject. I've heard different arguments as to what a high lift blade is. The link I provided was theirs for Simplicity...they somehow induced "Gator" into the frey.

I understand that mulching blades are pretty flat... have minimal turbulence and stand the grass straight up (in an enclosed chamber) to cut...and keep lifting it over and over to chop and then dropping to the ground. That would be considered high lift by most standards.

Whereas a hy-lift blade has a wing that creates massive turbulence, stands the grass straight up, cuts it and then swirling it around the perimeter of the deck until flinging it out the chute opening. 

The debate rages on about what high lift is.

I have the 50" gators. I have an anti-blowout kit installed and can't say I'm real pleased. I want to go back to high-lifts and see if that improves the cut. I get a lot more build up after installing the kit. 

9 hours ago, Chris727 said:

I have the 50" gators. I have an anti-blowout kit installed and can't say I'm real pleased. I want to go back to high-lifts and see if that improves the cut. I get a lot more build up after installing the kit. 

I tried the mulching only route for my lawn also. In theory it works great, but you almost need a bone dry lawn every cut or you're going to get build up. My primary lawn mower for the house and surrouds is a Husqvarna GTH26V52LS with a 52" fabricated deck. I have never mulched with it but found I was getting massive build up around all the baffles that came with it to make it a "multi-purpose" deck. Took me a few years to realize that their intended purpose was for the addition of a mulch kit. Once I removed the baffles it gave my grass a clear shot at getting out of the chute with minimum buildup.

7 hours ago, Argee said:

I tried the mulching only route for my lawn also. In theory it works great, but you almost need a bone dry lawn every cut or you're going to get build up. My primary lawn mower for the house and surrouds is a Husqvarna GTH26V52LS with a 52" fabricated deck. I have never mulched with it but found I was getting massive build up around all the baffles that came with it to make it a "multi-purpose" deck. Took me a few years to realize that their intended purpose was for the addition of a mulch kit. Once I removed the baffles it gave my grass a clear shot at getting out of the chute with minimum buildup.

The Simplicity RH discharge decks were really bad for blowing grass out in front and all over the top of the deck. They offered an anti- blowout kit which is similar to the mulch kit but not exactly the same. The chute on the end is not blocked off. I had great results with no baffle kit and using high lifts but the deck got so covered with grass, it became an issue, Dad refused to use the mower if I removed the baffle kit. Our JD 345 had factory baffles under it and had no real cut issues other than scalping and leveling issues.