Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Travel Distance

Dutch

Dave, Its the one thats about the size of the older Broncos only with 4 doors, maybe Expedition rather than Excuersion. Can't remember, I don't do alot of car shopping since cars cost as much as a small house now.

Drove from Pittsburgh PA to Indiana to buy a 42" mower deck. Left home at about 5:00AM was back home having a cold one at 2:25PM not a bad trip at all

If you found that tractor or attachment you just must have, how far would you travel to get it? With few exceptions, I set my limit at 600 miles from home.

I just got home at 8 pm tonight from a 3 1/2 ride one way to pick up the sweepster broom I just bought for my B-10. 480 miles round trip, luckily it was mostly highway miles with the cruise at 72...

Marion, I guess that would depend on who’s driving? Many women complain their husbands are not “spontaneous.” I like to ask my wife to go to the mall. When I get her in the car, it’s off to somewhere hundreds of miles away for an overnight stay. She gets furious: no clothes (there are stores where we’re going), no underwear (turn them inside out), no toothbrush (use a salt mouthwash and your finger), the family will worry (absence makes the heart grow fonder), the house may burn down (someone will call the fire department), can’t check into a hotel without luggage (they’re only interested in getting paid), look terrible (not to my eyes).

Where's Tuffy at? He's not afraid to travel! He's had to have logged some serious miles in pursuit of AC's and Simplicities. ;o) Jeff

Gertie my 80 Ford truck pretty much dictates max range on any roadtrip I might set out on. 100 mi. is about it until newer truck comes along or I put a new engine in the Ford. Dick

About 500-600 miles is my limit too, and not too often. But listen to how far a few of my buyers traveled... Old wisconsin powered Bolens with several attachment, not running and ALL needing fixed BAd BAd shape, Real BAD! Buyer drove from Long Island New York non-stop (to west side of Illinois) to get it, and bought a new trailer on the way for his Ford Excursion(or whatever its called) Bachtold weedmower Great shape)- Buyer drove from Rochester, New York . 7790 Diesel fixer upper- Buyer(club member) drove from Tennesee. I tell you what, I'm beginning to like you New Yorkers ALOT! You guys spend big money and drive long distances...... I give you all a round of applause.. SmilinSam

Dick, Don't sell "Gertie" short. I once had 6 drivers that I had to get home (New Jersey) from Texas. Wanted to save airfare, so I bought a $100 car out of some local Texas newspaper. Gave them the title and told them to just give it to the towing company when they broke down and then get on a plane. That bomb made it all the way home, then went to Omaha and back, Boston and back, used it locally for a few more years, and finally sold it for $100.

Semi related, Took Greyhound bus 38 hours to Texas from Long Island NY to buy a Suburban sight unseen and drive it home in 2 days. Drove to middle of PA one night after work to pick up junk snowmobile, 7 hours there 5 back (got lost) home by 4AM, had to do it that night because the wife was at her mom's for the night. Once it's home it's mine. Around the horn and up into Mass last Saturday to pick up Gravely broom and a Cub Cadet 122 on the way home in CT. If it's a good deal on something I can't live without I'll find a way to get it home. I always rent a trailer from U Haul for the items that won't fit in the truck, if it breaks I know someone will have to come and fix it.

Dutch, Do you think she would get supicious if we went for a Sunday drive with the trailer hooked on???? M. Kerr

I traveled 12 miles to pick up my new B212. Scott has the sweeper attachment now! Was nice to meet another club memeber. Had another one stop in tonigth looking at my sickle bar we are waiting to see the results for the one on E-Bay Mike

Marion, Absolutely not. Pack a picnic basket and load it aboard. Tell her you want to go somewhere secluded and romantic, but you don't want her to have to sit on the ground.