Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What did I break?

3416Ssovshutt72

So this just happened. Take a look at the pics. What on earth did I break? Can't go forward or reverse, can't put it into gear and have tractor stay in place.  The piece that broke has a grease zerk.

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Edited by 3416Ssovshutt72

Can axle tubes be repaired or replaced with EMT (metal conduit) from Home Depot? I've never broken one but figure it's just a metal tube, right?

No.  You need an OEM part.  It is machined for the keys and snap ring. It is case hardened to run on needle bearings.  It will have new bushings in it.  What are they running now - $200?  You will need to remove and tear down the transaxle. You should replace the axle tube bearings and will need the axle seals.  It is not unheard of for a broken axle tube to break a trans case when it fails.  Diff shims from a truck rear end can be used to set up the axles on these to minimize the slop most have.  Good luck with your new project.  Tim

• Like 1

Looking for a used transaxle may likely be your best bet. If a Vickers hydro, it may be a challenge but patience finding good donor tractor may be a good option. Dan Lonnen aka Rokon2813 is a used parts reseller and good resource as are other members here. I'd suggest placing a wtb ad in classified on this site. Good luck. gw

• Like 3

Is that a shuttle?  Then the tube axle from any 3-speed or 4-speed will work.   But to replace the whole transaxle you will need a 4-speed.