Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp Single questions

GregB

I have a briggs 16hp single that was run low on oil, and got hot.  Was down on power after topping up the oil.

Is there a most likely thing that goes wrong first? 

Burnt valve, Rings scoring cylinder, crank to rod bearings?

I had one I ran low,dz. It resulted in a broken rod, big end seized to the crankshaft. sm00 I think that's the typical victim in this scenario.

Thankfully that was not my out come.  It was still running just noticeably down on power.

Just trying to get an idea before I open it up. 

Edited by GregB

Take off baffle 306 and check for clogged fins. This is a spot hardly checked and a prime cause for over heating. I was and got a way with honing and a chrome ring set.

Briggs air baffle.jpg

On vacation this week so I had time this rainy day to dig into this.

There was a good amount, more than a small peanut butter jar, of slightly dense build-up behind Bob's mentioned cover and over behind the coil.

Cleaned that all up and found out why the previous owner went to external coil, bare grounding wires.

But then I pulled the head, valves tan colored under oily carbon build-up.  Carboned oily  piston,  chamber, and head.

Rotated flywheel around and there is minor vertical scoring, fingernail caught it , but finger could not feel it though.

Surface is very shiny, no hatch left at all.

Unfortunately my bore gages are at work.  I'll have to go into work (on a vacation day wah) to get the gages to see what size the bore is now.  My guess is .010 over to clean it up.