Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

two cycle question

steve-wis

Hello!

I am not a two cycle guy much at all, and my neighbor has a lawn boy with issues, so thought I would see if anyone here might have some advice.  It starts well when cold, and runs for four or five minutes, then stops, sounding like it is running out of fuel.  Let it set for a while, and it will start and run, again for a few minutes.  I have not looked at anything on it yet, except I checked the gas cap to see that the vent was open, which it is.  Any advice on what to look for?

Thanks!

Steve

For starts I'd check for a plugged fuel line and or shutoff valve screen. Sounds like it is just dripping into bowl and can't keep up.

Thanks guys, I will probably be checking the mower out later this week.  As I think about it, the coil does sound like the probable culprit, so will check spark when it dies.  If it has it, then onto the fuel system.

Steve

With Lawn-Boy coils I have had pretty good luck coating the outside with either epoxy or silicone. Seal up any cracks or breaks.

As mentioned above,  the inlet valve on these are very inclined to stick. The good news is that it is so easy to remove the carb and replace the needle etc. Also, it is easy enough to test and see if it is the needle or not. Run it till it quits and right away, shut off the fuel. If it starts and runs more than a few seconds, look at something else.

An inline spark tester will show if your losing fire. (as it dies) 

My money says the coil is fine. I have a number of the old Lawn-boys and they all do this exact thing.  A local station has started selling pure gasoline and I'm going to try and see if that will take care of this problem.