Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3pt hitch

MPH

Marty, I don't have a whole lot of experience with the PowerMax series but it looks like part of the 3-point to me. Jordan

Marty, It was an option, and was basically a bolt on structure. I will attach a good picture for you (from my 4040), as soon as I locate it. I don't know what you have on yours (I saw what you are talking about in your pictures) - I think that is a homemade attempt at something. Never seen anything like that before. Jeff http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=9147020&w=640&h=480>

Marty, Looking at your pictures and still trying to figure out what that bracketry could have been used for. Kind of like an upside down stationary 3-point hitch. Yeah, yeah ... that what it is, alright. ;o) Jeff

Your picture looks about like the same shot as the one in the 620 AC info, straight back shot and I can't determine how anything is mounted to the tractor. Looks like it may need more fabricating skills outta metal than I have. Hnnn wonder if oak trim boards would hold up,not, but got tools to deal with them. My first thought was home made but after I got it home the paint seems to match the rest. guess it could have been fabed when it was pretty new tractor so it all faded together. Maybe a grass catcher bracket..MPH

MPH, I think one of my 9020-s came with brackets like that even though it already had a 3pt hitch. I don't know what they were for. I apparently took them off and tossed them. Paul

Steve, Wheels are turned out, I assume. Wider is better, you know. Actually, I'm not even sure they would work the other way - never even tried. Valve stems are located on the inside (if that helps) of every tractor I have (had). Jeff

Jeff, All my tractors have valve stems on outside. As far as I know, that's the OEM configuration. Paul

I think that's OEM configuration for the turf tires/rims (valve stem out). I always thought OEM configuration for the high flotations was the valve stems in. Now, I'll have to check that out to be sure. I think the way I have them would offer the widest setting, which is what I want. I need maximum stability on the hills, here. These things are really stable on the hills, which is what drew me to them in the first place. Jeff

Was the 3pt hitch on the power max tractors built into the machine or was/is it a bolt on extra. Haven't found a pic I can tell on yet. On the pics I posted of my 'new' 4040 what is the white frame work on the rear end. Looks to factory deal judging from paint fade color..thanks..MPH

Sure wish I could help ya Marty but I'm still here in "small tractor land". I would imagine they built one basic machine and added all the extras to it. What fits one should with the right adapters etc. fit another. I've been wrong lots more than once tho. Dick

Paul, I've had two with turf tires. I took a pretty wild ride once with the 4041 with turfs. Wouldn't care to ever do that again. Just no traction with the turfs on the hills that I need to climb. Anyway, I checked my rims and they are 9.5" deep (outside) and only 5" deep (inside). That is definitely the wider stance setting - valve stems in. I only have 2.25" clearance between the tire and fender stifferners. No way could that rim/tire be turned around. I didn't actually pull the wheel off to try it, but it looks like this is the only configuration you can have with the high flotation tires and deep rims - valve stems in. Jeff

Jeff, I wear my tire chains year round on the turf tires. I'd change to lugs on one of the 9020's, but I do use both on the turf and the chains do less damage than the lugs do especially after a rain or now during the thaw. We have a dark rich clay soil here that really holds moisture (and stays squishy). I actually more curious now what those brackets are for. After looking at them closer in Marty's pic, I'm positive they are the same as those that were on my second 9020 when I got it. I'm thinking maybe a support for soft cab?, a grass catcher?, or maybe an aftermarket salt/seed spreader. My second 9020 was used as a maintenance machine by some company (I think). It came with a mower deck, cab and at the time, I opted not to buy the front sweepster that would have gone with it. Paul

Paul, I found that I do much less damage to my lawn with the high flotations than I did with the turfs. Especially, when turning up a hill, the inside turf tire would just spin and chew up the sod. Of course, using the turning brakes helps a lot to prevent the inside tire from spinning. My guess on the bracketry would be spreader or grass catcher, or maybe the same brackets were used for both. Haven't ever had neither of those attachments. I'll bet you wished you would have opted to get the Sweepster with the 9020 - knowing what you know now. I guess they are a pretty handy attachment to have. Kind of like the time (about 8 years ago) I passed on a nearly new Brantley Back hoe for a 720 - that was selling for only $1250. I was a PowerMax neophyte and didn't know any better - been kicking myself ever since. That's how it goes, I guess. Jeff

Jeff, I still have a gravel driveway. No use for a sweepster. So I guess I would still pass on it today. Guess I should pave the driveway instead of buying that next tractor? Paul