Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is a 10 Horse Cast Iron Briggs Enough?

Bigkahuna427

I have 3 tractors recently purchased a 2010, 2110, and 3310V.   All are 10 horse and my main reason for purchasing are to snow blow and till the garden.   I have yet to get them running but I am just starting to question whether 10 horse will be enough.   It does seem to be on the smaller side for a garden tractor?   Thoughts??

The 10hp will take just about anything you throw at it, with sizes Ray noted above.

Remember these were built and rated, when HP really meant something, not like today's ratings.

It may go up on governor with a blower in deep snow, or the  mower in deep grass.

Just do not push as hard in those conditions.

Tilling hardly puts any load on the engine.

Get them running, and find out for yourself.

Keep an eye out for a 16HP,  because there is generally not  a substitute for Cubic inches sm03

• Like 1

Blowing snow, IMO, gobbles up the most HP, tilling one of the least hungry.  I had a 12 horse Kohler with a 42" blower, and it did just fine.  The variable of yours would likely be the best for blowing snow, as being able to slow in the heavier stuff and keep it fed in the lighter stuff is key.  Hydros I find to best for blowing or tilling.

18 hours ago, GregB said:

...Keep an eye out for a 16HP,  because there is generally not  a substitute for Cubic inches sm03

"There's no replacement for displacement." -Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I repowered by 2010 with a 22hp Predator from Harbor Freight. Quite a difference. Nothing can stop the tractor now.

The reason for the repower was the 10hp was just getting worn and I was tired of continued tweaking. However, when the engine was properly tuned and running at its best the only thing which really bogged it was cutting high grass. The blower wasn't too bad.

I agree that 10 hp is probably enough.  I have a 725 with 10 hp that I use for all mowing even with a vacuum system. I also have a 2012 that I use to plow, snowblow and roto-till with.  The 2012 has a hydro lift which makes life easier for an old man like me.  Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd make due fine with the 10 hp.  I think the snow blower is the most power hungry.  I think your 2010, 2110, and 3310V would all accommodate up to a 16 hp cast iron Briggs without any frame modifications, should you be inclined.

Good luck!