Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Vintage Garden tractor "show" questions

TFF

Club Members,

We have a great summer country fair in upstate New York that has agreed to hold a vintage garden tractor show and parade as part of the weekend.  We are just in the planning stages, but wanted some advice on three questions.  First, how do other shows address safety issues (fire extinguishers, rules, etc)?  Second, does anyone have a sample judging guide for restorations?  Third, what is the definition of a vintage garden tractor?  We were proposing anything at least 30 years old but how do we prevent some of the small farm tractors (IH Farmall, Low boys, etc) from arriving?  Limit horsepower?  Thanks...tried to post this in "Events" but was able to figure out how...

I would suggest doing some Internet searches for shows that are scheduled in various areas and read through their exhibitor registration information. I've seen a wide variety of rules but never anything referencing fire extinguishers.

Typically the safety rules revolve around operation of tractors,The hours in which they are allowed or encouraged and the age of folks who can drive them in the areas in which they are permitted. Some shows restrict where you can park your trailer and tow vehicle and others restrict the time of the day when you can come and go.

Many shows cover their liability by requiring an exhibitor registration fee and a signature that essentially signs you up as a member of their club and therefore covers you under their liability insurance.  I've only been to one or two shows where there was any sort of liability waiver. I have found that shows hosted on public property like your state fair most likely is have much more lenient rolls and some don't even state any.  In Michigan it is very difficult or impossible to sue the state for liability whereas a private entity is more subject to risk and therefore imposes more regulation on their events. 

I'm not sure I would put too many limitations in place Laurier turn out could suffer. If a farmall or lowboy sneaks in then I probably would ignore it. Horse power can be a deceiving limitation because most of those smaller tractors had less horsepower than some of our garden tractors. Around here they usually specify a model year for the cut off when the requirement is vintage. I think in recent years I have seen 1975 as the cut off and other times 1980. It really depends on how broad you want things to be. Again I would lean towards being more lenient while the show is in it's infancy. 

Good luck! It's good to hear that someone is helping to expand exposure to the hobby.

I, myself, like eclectic collections. Variety to me makes a show much more interesting.  I would probably not limit what is allowed. I find that the line between garden tractors and compacts tends to me a blurred line. I can understand wanting to put on a good show with a specific genre, but at the same time also would want a good turnout and plenty of different things to see. I myself have gone to "tractor" shows that encouraged the smaller garden versions to show up as well.

Thanks for the comments.  The issue is space.  There is an antique car show at the same time, so with all the vehicles, tow vehicles and trailers, the we are concerned about about parking.  But maybe we just leave it open and see what happens...

There never is enough room because as most collectors will tell you the good deals and opportunities happen when you are short on room so you always find a way to make room. And maybe as a possible bonus, if you don't have enough room they will give more room next year.