Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RUST---HOW TO REALLY GET RID OF IT--

Woodydel

Peter, It won't do anything to aluminum. As a matter of fact it won't do anything to the base metal of any rusted item at all. Galvanizing is a problem only in that it will be removed with the iron. Here's another point. Corrosion of any type removes the base metal. When I take the rust off there will be metal missing on the surface where the rust was present. The worst case would be metal so thin that when the rust is removed there would be no metal left. Now you have no structural integrity since there is no metal left. If my plane is corroded I would rather scrap it than fly it. It is better, in my opinion, to prevent corrosion than to remove it later. Aluminum's corrosion is almost instantaneous in open air. If you sand aluminum you will never end up with a corrosion free surface. That corrosion protects the aluminum part. Anodizing protects aluminum further in this way. Galvanic action is what kills aluminum. Whenever an older home was ripped into and the sill flashing happened to be aluminum, the anchor bolt locations caused galvanic activity and the aluminum was disintegrated. Rotten planes should be melted down for new planes. Besides most planes are in use far longer than the average car's life expectancy. MadManX

Maybe it's Mountain Dew or Mellow Yellow. You COULD drink those chemicals, but who would want to. Brent

Mad man, I'm sorry, but it is hog wash to say that you liquid does not remove any base metal. Sort of looks like that too. I have studied chem engineering extensively in Madison. Understand perfectly on a molecular level inorganic chem. Spent no. of semesters in material classes. Most corrosion for planes occurs at the union of two different composites. An exchange of electrons occurs. The metal giving up electrons is molecularily changed, oxidation occurs. Same holds true for irons. The salt acts as an acid (removing electrons from the valiance shell of the metal) This same process occures when etching metal with a solution. Since the solution speds up the process, the oxide does not stay bonded with the base metal, the old oxitation is removed with the new oxidation. That is why etching works best it the metal has no build up. The acid can reach the base metal and oxidise it. The liquid is acid based and will eat metal also. It removes the less stable oxides first, may not get into the pitted areas effectively. I would not recommend drinking. What an acid is to metal is basically a quick corroder. The corrosion does not stay bonded to its base. For etching, it is best to move the part to enhance this effect. If you feel it is safe to drink or handle, it must have a low molarity and take some time to etch. Please do not tell others to drink though, if it had any substantial molarity, it is poisonous. Some acids are safe to the digestive trac, but still not good to swallow. Also, many acids do harm skin. Dan

Woody, The product looks inviting but, on another subject, attitude. Evidently everything has either always been perfect in your life and you think everyone else is below your intellect or perhaps,like me, there have been multiple sad occasions. I had a period in my life when I was very confrontational and come to find out I did not like myself and took it out on people that were friends and family. I then decided I need to be "one of the guys" and give everyone 110 percent and the what they take away becomes what is left of our personal relationship.. I'm sure your a good guy and can tell your a smart one but, be happier with others.. Everyone wants to be your friend and not your enemy.. Your Friend, Marion Kerr

Woody ---WOW WOW WOW--We think it is very very EXCITING.Where did you find it ??? What are you going to do with it.???What is it made up with.???Do you have a name for it.???Why dont you give us a few clues of the mix. WE may be able to figure it out.Last but not least is it PATENT??? hA HA .Have a good one Ron B

with regard to pcbs - some local drank a quart of hudson river water at a public meeting in saratoga springs to "prove" how safe the water was. all sorts of nuts out there.

okay wally, we're digressing from the original topic seriously here. you gonna give up the answer soon? scrolling down to keep track of this thread is getting old. your friend dave

Answer will be forthcoming. Monday or Tuesday...I still want some more responses to the pictures and maybe comments about how hard it would be to take off rust on a piece curved as it is and with all the flanges all around. How long would you estimate the conventional methods would take to get the job done. What I mean by "done" is absolutely no rust anywhere, even in the corners and threads in the welded on nuts. For your reference, the length is 18X18 inches by approximately 12 inches high. Remember that they are patch panels and adding POR for example will increase the thickness which will affect surface alignment with adjacent panels. My reason for this request is time is money and directly affects the value of what I have. To entice you to respond I'll let you know that what you see was accomplished in 20 minutes by me in my kitchen as demonstration of safety, no smell and general ease of use....My request is not to torture you guys only for me to make a few decisions...MadManX

Well-MadMx I dont know if this counts i spent one week on one rear wheel.There was so much paint to remove, then i found tons of RUST.Iused everything i could get my hands on to take the rust down inside and out . I am not looking for ward to the next one.I have not had to do any small curved parts yet.The pictures sure look promising.Any help i would appreciate.--Have a good one. ---Ron B