Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

3/8" JIC on all power steering fittings?

rich_kildow

I know very little about hydraulics and the associated fittings, so bear with me.  The next project into the garage is putting the power steering in my 7122.  I'm going to have to order the hoses or have O'reilly make them.  I have Phandad's breakdown on lengths and sizes, but can somebody confirm that all the hydraulic fitting are 37 degree, 3/8" JIC fittings?   I'd rather not have to rip the currently working tractor apart more than once to confirm the size.

The tee is NLA but this would appear to work:  https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/423476-131280

I have two of the hoses off the Sunstar that donated the parts, but they are missing the 45 on the end, so hopefully I can find a JIC to JIC elbow to reuse those.  

rich_kildow

To answer my own questions, all the fittings on the steering loop are the same, with smaller ones leaving the lift valve and going to the lift cylinder.  I found a handy reference chart with a Google image search and confirmed that they are -6 or 3/8" JIC fittings.  

Next question: I found forged steel JIC 45's and 90's on Amazon for a good price, is there anything wrong with running straight hoses with 45 or 90 adapters on the end vs having hoses made with the one fitting?  Obviously I'm creating extra points to leak, but that's a price I'd be willing to pay.

Edited by rich_kildow

720nut

I'ld say if you have the room for extra fittings it should be fine but of course if space is limited then I'ld go with fittings on hoses.

My choice would be to have hoses made with needed fitttings but they can be quite pricey for 45 or 90 fittings. Just my $.02

bkassulke

I prefer to remove any possibility of leaks by going with the correct hose end instead of extra fittings. In my experience the fitting always tightens up 180 degrees off of where I need it. I end up having to really tighten the fitting making a pain to take out again and possibly break the fitting. At least I have access at work to hundreds of different fittings and a hose crimp tool. Every once in a while we run into something we don't have but not very often.

rich_kildow

I was actually able to find correct hoses for all but one new one, which will require a fitting.  Reusing 2 of the sunstar hoses that were straight-straight will require 45s on one end.  4 hoses ended up being about $80 off ebay, all from the seller Universal Hose.  The fittings only a few bucks each on amazon, all forged steel hydraulic fittings, not brass plumbing fittings.  I have Rays kit just waiting for paint and an OEM dash decal on the way.  

I'm going to wait until the next round of mowing is done and I will get the steering installed, with pictures.