Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carburetors

MARK (LI)

My Broadmoor' vanguard 14 hp is surging....not backfiring, just surging particularly when not under  a load ( PTO off)   I know that I have to either rebuild or replace the  carb....anyone have a decent source for these parts?

Repairclinic wants $250 for a carb....$125 for the rebuild kit  thanks for any help    Mark

125 for a vanguard rebuild kit seems EXPENSIVE. 

Copy and paste the part number of the kit and go to Ebay and enter it in the search box on top. You should be be able to find a Stens or similar alternative at a much lower price.

Best of luck. 

Sounds like it "could be" running lean (not enough fuel).   Certainly you should check the basics first.  

Air filter of course, take a light and try to look through the filter to see the light.   If you can see the light you are good.

Take a fuel sample from the fuel line.   You are looking for a decent volume of fuel.  For gravity feed this would be more than a heavy drool.   You should draw the fuel into a clear bottle so you can look for water.  Let it sit for a while and the water should separate so you can see it in the bottom.   I have been able to simply look into the gas tank with a flashlight and actually see the water on the bottom of the tank.   

You could also simply have dirt in the carb.   It is most effective to take the carb apart and clean all the passages really well.   Carb cleaner and compressed air are going to go a long ways.   Small engines also tend to have small jets.   You can also take one bristle from a wire brush and work it around the jets.   The smallest jets or passages are often the cause of course.   

As a quickie you could try the good old fast flush.   Remove the air cleaner and or air filter housing to the point that you can completely seal the air horn of the carb with the palm of your hand.   Run the engine up to a good speed put your hand over the end of the air horn for one second then remove and let the engine recover.   By doing this you are exposing the main and other jets to a maximum amount of negative pressure and they will flow the maximum amount of fuel possible which is a lot than normal operation.   

Of course you could have other problems but that is where I would start.   Good luck with it!

Thank you    it sounds like a some good information and worth trying before spending the kind of money they want for the carburetor...even the rebuild kit is ridiculous  ...today's gasoline is the main culprit for fouling up carburetors

I have had this surging problem with some of my Kohler twin cylinder engines in the past.   Enlarging the carb main jet slightly with a tiny round file solves the problem.  I believe that Al Eden posted about this problem a few years ago.  

10 hours ago, bigdog46 said:

I have had this surging problem with some of my Kohler twin cylinder engines in the past.   Enlarging the carb main jet slightly with a tiny round file solves the problem.  I believe that Al Eden posted about this problem a few years ago.  

Does anyone have the link to this Eden post?

Thx