Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bahmi

Choose 1 cylinder over 2 cylinder at same HP rating?

Bahmi

I'm looking to buy a Simplicity in the 7100 class and am wondering if the single Briggs is preferable to the twin Kohlers.  I keep reading about the KT series Kohlers "blowing up" and spraying oil, while many praise the Briggs single. HP for HP, is the single preferable to the twin?

Talntedmrgreen

I like the powerband and smoothness of the twins (Series 1), but the 16 Briggs single is probably considered one of the most reliable motors in existence.  I don't think either motor would turn me a way from a fair deal.

The KT's like to lose fuel into the crankcase when they sit if the fuel is not shut off...the Briggs likes to do the same thing, but onto the garage floor.  Either one will blow up if not maintained, but the Briggs is probably more forgivable if you plan to abuse it.

• Like 1

Bill725

I currently own or have owned both, and I prefer a twin  cylinder engine over a single. Look for a Kohler Command OHV, but I STRONGLY suggest staying away from the Kohler Triad OHC.

gwiseman

There is a lot of Kohler vs Briggs chatter recorded on here and single vs twin as well. I like the Briggs engines probably because I know my way around them much better but we used to consider the Kohler a premium engine. For smooth operation, the twins cannot be beat. However a single will out pull and out torque a twin. 

fishnwiz

Each motor has its own cadences and sings a different song with a distinct vibe. It all comes down to personal preferences in the end IMO

sm03

• Like 1

dhoadley
13 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Each motor has its own cadences and sings a different song with a distinct vibe. It all comes down to personal preferences in the end IMO

sm03

Mark, I didn't know you were a poet at heart. Well said. dOd

• Like 2

MikeES

I don't have any experience with the new OHV v-twins, other than they are very smooth with little vibration.

The cast iron Briggs and Kohler singles:   The Briggs will lug better and will do the work with less fuel.   The Kohler has a simpler carb and ignition, and I think much easier to work on and have little or no charging issues.   The 16 hp Kohler has more cubes (34 vs 32) and definitely has more working hp.

The KT and Magnum twins:  I have several of these, and I like them for there smoothness and power, the twins can lug  down pretty good too.

There is one Kohler single (K361) OHV that is a brute, rated at 18Hp but really more like 20+

• Like 1

gwiseman
On 6/7/2017 at 4:47 AM, dhoadley said:

Mark, I didn't know you were a poet at heart. Well said. dOd

Mark musta had a good week. Almost sounds like he's ready to break out in song.dz

720nut
29 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

Mark musta had a good week. Almost sounds like he's ready to break out in song.dz

Kind of scary 666 , I've only one twin haven't ran it enough to tell, the problem when you have this many, some set more than others

Edited by 720nut

fishnwiz
44 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

:J The hills are alive.....with the sound of music.:D

• Like 1

SmilinSam

I like them all, and have used them all, and with that in mind,  I would have to say that the Kohler singles have been the most reliable and trouble free engines of the whole lot. You do have to keep them maintained though..oil changes and fresh air filters periodically... for them to last. The kohler singles dont like to be ignored on the maintinance end of things. Hence all the toilet jokes&:)