Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snojetter

Simplicity 7117 Steering & Front End

Snojetter

Got a 7117 that won't steer very tight to the right.  To the left, it cuts a good corner.  I jacked up the front end, and with no weight on the axle, it'll go to the stops both directions.  With weight on the axle, it seems to bind to the right where the tie-rod won't go closer than a couple inches to the stop on the axle.  To the left, it will go to the stop with weight on the axle.  I checked my 917 and it is pretty even both left and right, but it too won't go all the way to the stops.  Regardless, right hand turns are pretty wide, and since the mower discharge is to the left...well, I'm making mostly right-hand turns.

I took a look at all the steering components and there is, of course, some small amount of play in pretty much every joint - but it doesn't seem excessive to me.  I know it adds up over several pivot points, but overall, the system doesn't seem loose to me.  What I did discover was that my axle pivot bolt was VERY loose, so that when I was trying to turn all the way to right, the steering components would actually torque the axle rather than turn the wheel.  Mine has two jam nuts (can't download the manual at the moment to see if that is how it should be) so I tightened the first and then jammed the second.  Even tight like this, there is still some lateral play in the axle and of course it freely pivots as it should.  Again, I checked my 917 to compare, and it is solid laterally while still able to pivot freely.

Wondering if this is the cause of the differential amounts of steering?  The tie rod is not bent, nor is the drag link.  I would say the most wear is in the tight rod ends.  The spur gear has a little play, and then there's some play in the...pitman arm?  Not sure if that's the right term (the components between the spur gear and the drag link).  Anyway, I don't feel like there is enough wear in all components to be the problem.  And if they were excessively worn, wouldn't the steering be sloppy in both directions?

Another question is in the spindles.  How tightly should the spindles ride in the bushings?  I wonder if mine should be replaced as there is definitely some clearance between the spindle shaft and the bushing.  Secondly, there is about a 1/4" gap between the axle and the spindle (can move the spindle vertically up and down).  This amount of clearance seems to be designed in...but am wondering if this is correct?

CVSB10JCS

I am thinking ur spindels are worn.  this is a weak part and can be fixed by doing the "poor man power steering" upgrade. the fact it will not turn with weight suggest to me that the wear isn't the same and the vertical play shouldn't be that much. you will need a gear puller to remove the steering arm from the LEFT hand side but the right hand side is just a "C" clip.

CVSB10JCS

Also you can actually install 4 bushing per axle side to tightnen up the spindels!  drive the 4 bushing out and clean everything up then install the used bushings (if usable) and install the new one in the factory location. thre is still room for the grease fitting. per-lube before assemble

• Like 1

CVSB10JCS

I am still looking for oversize bushing/bearings to replace my tie rod fittings, also perhaps someone has the part number for the steering arm ball joint or heim joint as simplicity seems to be around $50

Bill725

There is a bushing at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft that is not grease-able from the factory unless modified. Spray anti-seize on the bottom of the shaft to let in seep down into the bushing. Remove the axle pivot bolt and check the bushing and hole for wear. Pull your spindles and check for wear at the bushings.

• Like 1

mswyka2

We experienced the problem that you  are describing when we first purchased our 7790.  After some investigation we found that the rearmost pivot point for the axel was actually broken.  It is sort of a round piece that fits into the tractor frame.  We welded in a new piece and it has worked well ever since.

Snojetter

12 hours ago, mswyka2 said:

After some investigation we found that the rearmost pivot point for the axel was actually broken.  

I did look at this and found that it was fine.  A little wear in the pivot, but not excessive.