Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Piston damage ...TILLY is up and running! !

fishnwiz

Pulled the heads off of my kt19 engine. There was an excessive amount of carbon buildup on the ridge ring top of cylinder on one side and it seems to have done a slight amount of damage to the piston edge. Am I going to need to replace this piston due to this damage? I have NOT pulled the piston yet to see how far down the side it extends on the piston itself but the cylinder is still good.  Also. will I need to use an oversize piston if I need to replace or can I replace with another standard piston?

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

Edited by fishnwiz

This piston is shot , never use an over sized piston , unless u bore ur cylinder ,measure bore if still with in spec or slightly off go with STD . I would change the rod as well , as new piston and new rings gonna stress old rod and will give up . 

Edited by a_sannine

Bummer...This is getting to be a money pit tractor...I was afraid the news was going to be bad. Not going to go oversized. ...even standard pistons are 100 each plus the rods...ouch...maybe I can find a cliff to push it off of.

May have to look at a repower...might be cheaper.

16 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I don't see why not , but my self I won't do it , I would just re ring it  with a good hone job , rebuilding  can go over $700 . Put ur thumb on piston and Rock it back and fourth , if u see play , rings shot , I would re ring it and put around 5 hours of easy use , that might cut ur smoke problem a bunch and won't put a hole in ur pocket , my $0.2

IF... you decide not to rebuild I may be interested in the core.  My kt19 has a broken case.  Runs good but leaks oil like a sieve.  

Thank you!

Ken

Edited by Kenh

36 minutes ago, Kenh said:

IF... you decide not to rebuild I may be interested in the core.  My kt19 has a broken case.  Runs good but leaks oil like a sieve.  

Thank you!

Ken

Is the M18  the same case ?if so I have one

Thanks guys

I am working on trying to get this motor back up in running condition but don't want to drop 600 plus dollars to do so. I may just part out engine if I can't get Brett's piston to fit my engine.

The reasons I was forthcoming with the issues with this engine is I want people to know that while I seem to get "All the great deals" as a few people have mentioned. ..that is NOT the case at all.

I am not ashamed to tell the true story be it good or bad , when it comes to this hobby of ours. I have been VERY LUCKY to not misread the condition of almost all the tractors I have purchased in the past.

This particular tractor is a pain because of the initial cost to aquire this tractor is double what I would normally spend.....that being said,  I really do like this particular tractor and the overall condition it's in and hope to get her back up and running without having to start a crowd funding site to cover it.....unless you guys all want to kick in some cash to bring her back to life?9_9

Thanks again to Brett for all of his help and kind offer of a spare piston.  It's people in this membership that make this AWESOME site what it is. The best site on the net IMO

• Like 1

Now, we just have to chase down the part numbers to see if an M18 or M20 piston are the same as KT19.  The bores and the rings are the same, it's the pistons we have to verify.

Edited by Brettw

Pics of carbon damaged piston....The cylinders have NO damage visible and look very clean.  Guess I lucked out on that one.

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

WOW, that piston looks even worse now that it's out of the cylinder.    I hope you "new" pistons work out for you.

Ken

So far, it does not look like the part #'s and style are the same for the KT and Magnum pistons.  I will still get out what I have, and we can see if the match up.

Mark:  Upon looking at your pistons as shown, we do not have the same pistons.  Your pistons are the old style, the pistons I have are the new Mahle style.  You could likely use them, but you would need the matching rods too.  I have rods and piston sets but again, we would have to match up and see. If someone with more knowledge on these engine chimes in, we might be OK.  Let me know and I can get these to you to check.

Edited by Brettw

Why am I not surprised this piston wouldn't work....Story of this tractor right from the start. Guess she doesn't want to be put back into the workforce -_-

If anyone happens to have an extra used piston from a series 1 Kohler kt19 lying around that they may want to sell I sure would be interested  and will be running a want ad in classifieds. 

Thanks again Brett for all your help.

Edited by fishnwiz

On 6/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, Brettw said:

So far, it does not look like the part #'s and style are the same for the KT and Magnum pistons.  I will still get out what I have, and we can see if the match up.

Mark:  Upon looking at your pistons as shown, we do not have the same pistons.  Your pistons are the old style, the pistons I have are the new Mahle style.  You could likely use them, but you would need the matching rods too.  I have rods and piston sets but again, we would have to match up and see. If someone with more knowledge on these engine chimes in, we might be OK.  Let me know and I can get these to you to check.

You would have to take one rod and piston assembly from each engine to see if the center of the crank journal to the head of the piston match on each engine.  In addition there need to be enough clearance for the crankshaft to spin around and clear the skirt of the piston.  A slight difference of length would be OK as long as it is not a great amount.  Maybe on of the tractor pulling guys would be of help as these are the guys that do this sort of thing all the time.

Ken

Thanks for your input guys

I have made a few inquiries to the pullers with no answers yet.

Who would have thought it would be so hard to find a piston? 

It seems like there is alot more  parts availability with the series 2 engines then the series 1 ?

This engine sure ran great except for the smoke after 1/2 hr of run time.sm02

Edited by fishnwiz

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

Thanks for your input guys

I have made a few inquiries to the pullers with no answers yet.

Who would have thought it would be so hard to find a piston? 

It seems like there is alot more  parts availability with the series 2 engines then the series 1 ?

This engine sure ran great except for the smoke after 1/2 hr of run time.sm02

I am not gonna promise here  but I think I still have the parts from my blown kt19 , I'll have to dig them up , I 'll check as time permits  .

34 minutes ago, Snojetter said:

What a pretty, shiny thing that is!  Would almost hate to put oil in it...good thing I don't have 2 grand to buy it!  Whoa!

I am putting it in my Man cave at that price!:D

1 hour ago, a_sannine said:

I am not gonna promise here  but I think I still have the parts from my blown kt19 , I'll have to dig them up , I 'll check as time permits  .

0:) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! 

Fingers crossed! 

Edited by fishnwiz

Hi Guys!  My name is Tilly and I am the tractor in need of a big strong man to give/sell me a piston!IMG_6820.jpg

Note my NICE shapely  rear end .....You like?

IMG_6821.jpg

Also look at my nice lines and curves....Pretty HOT for my age!!IMG_6817.jpg

Can't you just see yourself mounting me and riding me all day long?IMG_6819.jpg

Take me out into the tall grass and feel the sway of my body!IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

Will YOU be "The One" to set my motor running?   I can't wait to get your piston inside me so I can be Ho again !  Please help out anyway you can.

Ps...I have very nice jugs!

Please respond to my personal ad in the classifieds.  Discreet and confidential. 

What happens on Simple tractors....STAYS on Simple Tractor. 

Love and kisses,

xoxo  Tilly

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 3