Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Piston damage ...TILLY is up and running! !

fishnwiz

Well Tilly finally my have found a new power plant. ....the problem is the donor tractor is almost too nice to steal the power plant from!!  I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!  It's happened on more then one occasion that I am looking for a  part from a parts tractor , when I come across a real nice condition tractor and end up with two tractors because I don't have the heart to destroy the "Parts tractor " to fix the original tractor. O.o

The donor tractor  in question is a sweet 7117 with the original KT17 ENGINE in it. Overall condition of the donor is above average. 

The donor tractor became available after the hydro transmission stopped working. 

I will need to do a little more investigation into what the issues are with the hydro unit before I rip out the power plant. >:(

Please see a discription in my other post regarding possible issues with my donor 7117.

Here we go again... Fingers crossed! 

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

Edited by fishnwiz

Just as an idea: Have you considered looking for a vertical 18 or 20 horse magnum and doing the conversion to horizontal? I haven't done it, but based on what I've read, with the complete KT for parts, you should have all you need to do the conversion. At least down here AYP and Sears mowers with vertical magnums from the mid to late 90's are cheap and plentiful, though they might not be where you are.

I can't wait to see pictures of how to provide power to the bevel gearbox with any vertical crankshaft engine in a Sovereign chassis.

4 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

I can't wait to see pictures of how to provide power to the bevel gearbox with any vertical crankshaft engine in a Sovereign chassis.

It does sound interesting. ...just not something I am going to pursue at this point on this tractor.

The block castings are all the same.  But a lot of work, to split the case, change oil pump parts, then reassemble and swap out all the different outside parts.

But seems cost effective if you have the time.  If you also swap out the branded tin, no one can probably tell it was a vertical.

YEE HAA  C|:  Tillys up and running and she is happy she did not have to flash her jugs to you pervs cause shes not that type of gal!! !

Tilly with her new old kt17 Kohler powerplant  transplant! 

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6854.jpgSTILL LOOKING FOR A PISTON for the KT19 for her brother  Roto  who looks lost without his engine! :$

IMG_6851.jpg

Edited by fishnwiz

Tilly has decided to have the change operation and has now become a 7117 ..hood and all WITH  hydro lift.dOd

Hood swap and new used 17hp and away she ?  goes .:J:J

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 9:20 AM, GregB said:

The block castings are all the same.  But a lot of work, to split the case, change oil pump parts, then reassemble and swap out all the different outside parts.

But seems cost effective if you have the time.  If you also swap out the branded tin, no one can probably tell it was a vertical.

Might actually try doing this...when I get brave enough to follow through. 

20 minutes ago, maxwood said:

Now, was that so Bad???   It looks great.

Thanks Ken in Mi

I have done it several times already. Not a big deal.....just hated to RIP THE HEART OUT of another nice survivor! 

Tilly wants to say "THANKS TO EVERYONE " who helped with suggestions and words of incouragment. !  You guys are the best!dOd

• 4 weeks later...

Still undecided...I was thinking of MAYBE selling the whole engine as one unit rather than parting out the engine.

Edited by fishnwiz

On 8/13/2017 at 6:38 AM, fishnwiz said:

Still undecided...I was thinking of MAYBE selling the whole engine as one unit rather than parting out the engine.

That could work too