Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not an AC or Simp

jimmystractor

I had to buy this old girl. My grandpa owned a Coast to Coast that my dad worked at as a kid. It needs a drive belt but otherwise looks well taken care. 1 owner from 1985. 

IMG_0882.JPG

Very nice example. ...I remember the coast to coast stores vividly from my childhood. 

I couldn't wait for Saturday mornings so my Pa would take me to CtoC to buy supplies for his weekend projects.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

looks nice, that is a piece of L/G history in my opinion, they don't come along that clean very often.

• Like 1

Wow!  Very nice.  Looks exactly like the Wards machine I had during my teen years...with a different color scheme, of course.

• Like 1

Jimmy - I just looked through my pile of old paper and happen to have the manual for the old Montgomery Ward I used to have back in the early 90's.  Sure enough, this is the exact same tractor - right down to the accordion on the steering shaft!  While I wouldn't want to replace my 917 with it, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed mowing with that old machine.  It was my first rider.  Dad traded some photography work to the original owner so that I didn't have to use the push mower anymore (and so we could start mowing the ditches too).  Good memories!

Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to throw the manual away even though the tractor is long-gone.  Not sure if you can use it, but if you'd like it I'll send it to you.  It's the operator's manual combined with all the exploded views and parts diagrams.  I would assume Wards had their own p/n scheme, so maybe that info won't be particularly helpful...but who knows - maybe they are all MTD p/n's afterall.

• Like 1

Kyle, thanks buddy. The original owner actually had the manual for it and gave it to me. Thanks for offering that up though! That kind of stuff makes me happy to spend time here!

There was a Coast to Coast hardware in Wauseon, Ohio back in the late 70's/early 80's. I bought a cooler there that I have carried for a lunch box for the last 34 years. Crazy thing is that they sold Simplicity tractors, mowers tillers etc. for a few years.