Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC SIMPLICITY YARD TRACTORS 1960'S

Les

I own a small tractor, which I am sure is a allis chalmers.
The only numbers I can find are on the engine model #23D
TYPE# 0129 02 Serial # 83843
The majority of the tractor is painted with yellow paint
except the fenders and hood, but they may have been changed?
It has a 3/4 steering wheel an electric starter,3blade mower deck
and a grader blade. The grill is chrome and there's
a power take off on the front of the motor.
I am in the process of restoring this cool little
tractor, any help anyone can send my way on info,
Original paint and trim colors and or year and make?
PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN, THANK YOU.

Mike,
While I'm not one of the "A-C guys" in the club, this sounds like a B-10 or maybe a Big Ten. (Others please correct me.) I can start you of with a production date for your Briggs. Courtesy of one of our links, that (very late) 23D was produced in May '65, making the tractor likely a '65 or maybe a '66. Go to the home page, then to the 'Allis-Chalmers' section and see if one of the pictures looks like yours.
Good luck with the resto,
Fred

Hi Mike:

Thanks for using the Club Site to air your interests. That lets us know folks like you are interested in saving some of these little guys.

Fred is close if not on the money according to my records. In 1965 there were 2 production models of the AC Big-10. In back of the seat on the sheet metal in plain view should be an ID tag with #s on it. It may have been lost as many are. If the tag is there, look for the following numbers: 2025060 or 61.

In 1966, the B-10 was again in production as it was in 63-64 with a 9 HP engine. The 1966 model had a 10 HP if my records are correct. Tag numbers would be 2025069 or 70. the B-12 was also made in 1966. Tag numbers 2025071 or 72, The difference between the 2-10s and 2-12s was hydraulic lift vs manual lift.

Come back if you have more questions.

Describe the grill. Is it square holes punched in a sheet of Aluminum or stretched metal? I think that may be a clue.

Del

Hi and thanks for the info, I did end up finding a number on the transmition after all ,right down to the exact date
4/22/65 B So I know its an early model b10 I think? hahaha I love this old tractor, my wife thinks I'll be sleeping
sleeping with it soon..... hahahahah
Anyway getting back to the grill ,its seems to be stretched aluminum with small horizontal slits in it~~~~~~
Kinda wavey like that... Have any ideas? I'd be greatful for any more you know. The reno is just about complete but I'd like to
find some headlights, do you know if this model had that option?
I'am looking forward to posting some pics of the start to finish ,if theres enough room...

Mike,

Headlights and a rear work light were available options for the B10.

When you have pictures, contact me, and I'll do a section in the Gallery on Simple trACtors like the one just posted about Dave Sigmund's B110 restoration....[A href='http://207.254.26.135/gallery/b_112_labor_of_love.htm']http://207.254.26.135/gallery/b_112_labor_of_love.htm[/a]

Hi again Mike:

I'm sure you have an early 1966 B-10 with Serial # less than 50,001. The stretched Al grill is on my B-10 Serial # 26,xxx. Your transmission date is 65 so the tractor was probably made late 1965. My references show the Big-10 was made only in 1965 after which they started the B-10 again with the 10 HP engine vs the original 9 HP in 63 & 64. According to my research in the parts book etc., the Big 10, B-12 and B-10s with serial # above 50,001 all have the same grill which is from a heavy piece of AL with squares punched in it which my Big 10 and B-12 both have. The stretched Aluminum was used on the early B-10s (probably 63,64 & 66 with serial #s less than 50,001.

Hope this helps.

Anyone else agree or disagree???

Del

• 2 weeks later...
New here, I apologize if I miss etiquette. I read these threads to make sure my recently aquired tractor was in fact Big Ten, or just had the cowl of one. There will be a seperate post as to why I questioned it.

Anyhow, I used the info from these threads, and found the serial# behind the seat under a few shades of paint with laquer thinner. My # is 045509, and has the square punched aluminum grill. I will check for motor and transmission #s sometime after this little snow storm breaks.