Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7/16-20 bolts hard to find

jrmorrill

Anyone have a suggestion where to find 7/16-20 x 2" bolts?

I've tried Home Depot, Lowes, the local Ace Hardware store, and Tractor Supply. 

This seems to be a specialty bolt thread pitch and length. I can pick up what I need online but am amazed this cannot be sourced at a local store. I'm located in south-central Connecticut. We certainly have lots of retail places to check.

Goody's Hardware in East Haven, CT. They have an entire isle of small hardware. I'd be shocked if they don't have it. I've found every oddball thing I've ever looked for in there. In 25 years I've stumped them twice.

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1

Don't know about the rest of you but I've used quite a few 7/16 bolts in my life, small block chevy and a lot of others.

Local hardware stores carry quite the collections

• Like 1

7/16-14 is the sae course standard thread, and 7/16-20 is the standard fine thread.  It is not a special pitch.  It is, however, much less used than others, so it is harder to find.  Fastenal will have them.  

• Like 1

The recommendation for Goody's Hardware in East Haven, CT was perfect for me. It's a great hardware store and had what I needed both the 7/16-20 (only in grade 8) and the woodruff keys I also needed. So much better to pick up just what I need locally instead of purchasing loads of pieces online to use only a few.

Goody's Hardware is an amazing place. I went in for a small something and asked the guy if they could get the hardware to change my hinged shed door to a rolling panel barn door. He walked to a back corner, pulled out a 16' rail, the roller and hangers and I walked out with $100 in hardware that I really wanted but hadn't even gone there to get!