Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early model power steering...Sovereign

jimmystractor

I recently picked up a Sovereign that has the early style power steering ( kit 1691021). I have read this is more of a power steering assist as opposed to full power steering. Is that true? 

Guess it depends on your definition of "full power steering".

I've had the older style.  It's not as smooth and, if I remember correctly, the power steering slows down/stops if you use the hydraulic lift while turning the steering wheel.   Maybe that's why some folks say it's an assist type?

the early style power steering works real well if kept cleaned up.  They tend to build up gunk and feel sluggish, both in the valve assembly and mechanical components. They take priority over hydrolift and dont even require hydrolift to be installed on a tractor.  

The late style is more responsive, but I feel its also more impacted by the use of the lift or hard acceleration and prone to wandering.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

They take priority over hydrolift and dont even require hydrolift to be installed on a tractor.  

Guess my memory is backwards!  dz   Having PS priority is much safer.