Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Having trouble removing blades ( Homelite T-8 )

BHagen

I've busted my knuckles enough on my own trying to get these blades off.

Maybe someone sees something I'm missing.  I'm assuming these are NOT reverse threaded.  Ive tried a breaker bar.. I'll try some heat next.

Right now, when I turn the nut above the blades.. everything spins, except the blades (which are pinned against a 2x4 to prevent the entire thing from turning).  So I can turn the nut, and the plate spins (under blade) but the blade stays put. I even tried putting a old drill bit in one of the 4 holes in the plate under the blade.. and that only led to me cutting it in half!

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

I just hot the bolt on the bottom of the blade with an impact wrench and that has always worked for the dozens of decks I have monkeyed with.  I havent actually had the blades off my T8 deck, but would imagine they are a standard thread.  Shouldnt have to touch anything on top of the deck. 

I agree an impact wrench is the best solution.

But before I had an impact wrench, I'd use a 1/2" breaker bar, sometimes with a pipe extension and a 6 point socket.  I'd let the blade hit a 2x4 wedged against the deck baffle.  If the blade spins, I'd put large nails/bolts (both sides) in the arbor plate to stop the blade from turning.  Never had the nails/bolts shear.

• Like 2

I'm on board with the impact guys.  If you don't have one, it's a good investment.  A cheapie at a big box store is probably around 30 bux, and when you need them, they are great.  Of course you need an air compressor.  And you don't want it to cramp your garage so you'll likley need an addition.  And there's no reason to put on a garage addition without heating it and such.  And you will need electric to heat it, so you might as well bring out 220 for the welder.  And as long as you have 220 you might as well opt for the bigger compressor right from the start. And if you are going to spend that kind of money on an air compressor, why would you be a cheap smack and buy a $30 air wrench and not get a good ol' Snap On or something at about 280 bux?   Brian, what are you thinking, investing 100K+ in an impact wrench??? 666

Rear wheel bolts and blade bolts are the two biggest reasons I bought a plug in type impact wrench on sale at Menards. I don't know how long it will last, but it has been a handy addition to the garage for the price I paid. 

Brett jumped in as I was typing, his option sounds much more convenient! Except for the paying for it part. :ph34r:

22 hours ago, Brettw said:

Brian, what are you thinking, investing 100K+ in an impact wrench??? 666

I love it!  Best idea I've heard in a while!

I'm thinking on that model of deck, the threads are actually left hand but don't have access to a parts book right now to verify that. I know I had a heck of a time getting the blades off and I believe that was the solution. 

5 hours ago, Chris727 said:

I'm thinking on that model of deck, the threads are actually left hand but don't have access to a parts book right now to verify that. I know I had a heck of a time getting the blades off and I believe that was the solution. 

My Homelite T-12 48" deck is standard right hand threads (and also NOS 48" AC300 deck I picked up awhile ago).  Not sure about Simplicity decks that look similar.

I just confirmed, they are left-hand thread.  These small-frame decks were a bit different from the large frame decks. The small-frame ones were also still left-hand discharge. 

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7461.JPG