Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar mower deck digging turf

Bahmi

I had the Sunstar out to mow some lawn today and after a while, noticed a long scrape in the grass where the grass was dug out to a depth of nearly an inch. It seems that some grass got stuck in the end rollers on both side of the deck and they failed to turn properly due to jamming. Hence, they stopped turning and dug instead.

I kinda think I had the deck down to it's lowest setting and caused this problem. Is this a common occurrence with the Simplicity decks? What do I do to eliminate this unsightly gouging?

I have seen this symptom before...the failed roller is sometimes the issue. Also have seen the cotter key on the end shaft of the rollers dig in. This most time happens when the bushing fails or the roller holes get oblong and wollard out.

Run it up on some car rams and see what the problem is...or better yet pull the deck off as it probably need some tlc... as in at the very least blade sharpening etc. not a fun task tho...... The only time I get a gouge following me is when a stick gets jammed under the roller. I only mow on the top 2 settings tho.

Harry