Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CH 18 head gasket

steve-wis

Probably....

But I've never done it.  Mine is out right now awaiting the heads to come back from an engine machine shop.  The old head gasket kit used to come with new head gaskets but the new one doesn't.  Also, When you pull your valve covers, check for cracking around the bolt holes, even if they have the metal inserts.  I just bought two new ones & the one with the oil fill is cheaper than the one without so mine will have two with the oil fill.  This will be the third style I've seen.  Now they have a relief cut on the corners as well as the inserts.  Now idea why.  There are three different gaskets for those depending on what style you have & every single type leaks if you don't add sealer.  Another reason to pull the engine is to perform a thorough cleaning. 

Sorry guys.  I know most rave about this engine but I think it crap.  Third set of leaking valve covers, Second valve job, Three coils, & now potentially a new flywheel as three magnets are loose. 

This thing is absolutely NO better than a Triad!

Don't want to steal the thread but have Soveriegn with 18, ran great when I brought it home now seems to miss and just run ruff ??????

Difficult (i.e. impossible) to replace heads without removing shroud.  The intake  manifold must (at least) be unbolted from the heads to replace the heads.  That manifold is under the shroud.  There is no room to get the shroud off without removing the engine.

Edited by CarlH
clean up