Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bufford

Rear End and Differential Problems

Bufford
My Problems look to be worse than I thought in my earlier post. So, I tore the rear diff apart and found that the gears on the hub that goes inside the diff are missing a few teeth that disintegrated the 4 planetary gears that mesh with it. So, can these be purchased new? Looks like I need 4 of the small gears and the outer hub gear. Can the gear be changed off the hub, or do I need to replace the hub/gear assembly. Now the scarry part. The axle tube seals in the transmission were leaking, so I had plans to replace them. I have noticed that the axle tube has some play in it. If I grab the end of the tube, I can move it up and down (forward and back) about 1/8 inch at the end of the tube. It looks to me like it is too much play, but I thought I would ask. How much is too much play? Are there bushings inside that I can replace? Can these be purchased as well? thanks for the help. bufford (yes, my brothers really call me that....still)

Al
Bufford, If any of the small pinion gears are damaged in the differential all should be replaced. As the new gears will have thicker teeth and they will carry the load and the old gears will not have that much pressure on them the new gears will break up soon. Yes the parts are readily available. The hub is not cheap though. The bearings and seals are also available. Always replace the keys in the axle tube and the differential anytime you have one apart. Loose keys are what causes the stress cracks in the axle tube keyways and the axle tube failures. Most of these parts we would have in stock and the others would be about 3 days away. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-462-2218 and we can help you through this. If you have a local dealer that is helpfull that would be the place to go. If you don't, we would be very glad to help you. Good luck, Al Eden