Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

prez

For some reason I cant read message 4 and 5 or reply to my previous post.I will say here that I feel like an idiot.the problem was the neutral start switch. It must be lose so it gave the impression of a bad sol. A real nasty sound like gears grinding. Ive read every post on hard starting tractors so maybe someone wont go the to the trouble I did by pulling their motor. I do have A rebuilt starter and a wallet thats eighty dollars lighter to show for my trouble.Thanks for the help

Hi, You may still have trouble with that starter "kicking in" consistantly. If you do call me at 1-800-462-2218 and we manufacture a kit to fix that problem. Works everytime if you have switches that are getting old and wires that are cracking and having broken strands etc. We have fixed Onans on skid loaders that have had 3 starters put on and still were intermitant. For more info call us or look at "repowereng.com" Good luck, Al Edem

This should be a reminder to all of us that checking your wiring and fuel lines and such should be at least a yearly thing. I have witnessed the effects of a couple fires started curiously, one by a 720 the other a 9020 PowerMax tractor. I also know a dealer that has bought acouple of Sunstars for parts that have been in fires and were probably the cause. The 9020 that burned had been a nicely maintained unit with just about every attachment, it the attachments and the garage it was in were all badly burned. The cause was pinpointed as the 9020. Tim

I don't see how a loose neutral switch could drain the battery in 5-10 seconds. The battery may have a dead cell or two. A battery with a dead cell will charge on a charger normally. Battery testers at auto parts stores don't always catch it either. The simple way to determine if the battery has a dead cell is to connect a multimeter(ohm/volt meter) across the terminals. A normal battery will show 12-14 volts. A dead cell will cause a reading of 10-11 volts. Two dead cells will cause a reading of 8-9 volts, ect... A dead cell on a weaker battery will definately show full charge but die very quickly under load. Good luck.

Just yesterday evening I found a great site with technical info re starters, alternators, batteries and their interdependence -- also diagnostic tips re checking out voltage drop. Also, the proper full test sequence for batteries. It is www.oakvillestarter.com. Check out their TechTalk