Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

goslowe

Engine Replacement

goslowe

I have a Simplicity 7112 that was repowered with a B&S 16 hp engine before I bought it. This engine has thrown something thru the front. I have a lead on a Onan 140 Elite from a Cub Cadet. Will this engine fit my Simplicity 7112 and what would I need to make it work?

Brettw

It may fit, but with how much engineering?  Mounts, hood and frame clearance, throttle and choke cables, driveshaft adapter, and the muffler to name a few issues that would likely have to be dealt with.  I have not heard of this specific engine being used, but it sounds like a potential can of worms, to me.  I would look for a 12-16 horse Briggs.  It will bolt right in, you have all of the misc. spare parts you might need, muffler, driveshaft adapter, etc.  Might even find a runner in another tractor at a reasonable price.  A lot less headaches, and a relatively common and available engine in the Briggs.  JMHO  Good luck either way!

fishnwiz

I agree with Brett....it's much easier to use a Briggs at this point unless you really want to take on the challenge of a retrofit of a Onan.

If you do decide to go with the O be sure to document your progress with pics and discriptions in case another member wants to try the same thing.

Best O luck

PhanDad

I agree with the above - a Briggs is the best since that's what's already in it. 

Another relatively easy candidate would be an old Kohler single - not too much extra work (ignition and drive shaft adapter comes to mind) since these engines were also OEM.

Allis312

I you are interested I do have a Kohler K301 12 cast iron single from an Allis 312 that I am looking to sell. Shouldnt be too hard to fit in your tractor as I believe the 7112 could have come with this same engine. PM me for more info.

Brettw

Keep in mind however, the Kohler and Briggs are two different ignition systems, and although it isn't a huge issue, you will have to change the ignition switch and some wiring, or add a Bosch relay (Ask BLT, he da man on this)

Allis312
11 hours ago, Allis312 said:

I you are interested I do have a Kohler K301 12 cast iron single from an Allis 312 that I am looking to sell. Shouldnt be too hard to fit in your tractor as I believe the 7112 could have come with this same engine. PM me for more info.

I also have all the wiring needed to make the Kohler work as well.

goslowe

I bought a Cub 126 remove the engine to find the heights were different. Fortunately the cub is shorter so I will have to shim 2". Next will be determining where it goes front to back. Allis312 what do you want for the engine and where are you located?

hurleyii

Depending on location I have a 16hp Briggs I may be willing to let go reasonably.

Never herd it run yet. I'm actually working on that as we speak. I bought the tractor not running supposedly somethingbis knocking on the tractor. I assume it's the block and needs rebuilt. That's cheap enough though

If you'd like more Info on this my post 7116h restore is where this engine is coming from.

Edited by hurleyii