Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bahmi

Simple fix on Triad engines?

Bahmi

Can somebody help me decide whether or not to get involved with a '99 Sovereign with the Triad engine, the 18HP unit. The owner claims "all is well" and you need to know how to remedy this situation with the much maligned Triads.

What is the secret procedure to remedy the Triad's problems? Otherwise, is the Triad an OK engine if the problems are fixed?

Or, should I pass and look elsewhere?

fishnwiz

IMO

I would PASS.

Unless you know the seller personally,  and he is the original owner of this tractor and was tedious about maintaining this tractor /engine and it's quirks. You don't know how far from major failure this engine is..

That being said, there are other members who have had good luck with this engine when properly maintained 

I myself wouldn't want to live with this motors issues in the back of my mind every time this motor skips a beat....unless of course you have a spare replacement engine sitting around or eXtra cash to purchase a replacement engine.

But hey...that's just me and I am gun shy because of a recent encounter with the notorious KT19 series one engines that have a simular issue of their own....not so much about the issues themselves but more about the fact that when these engines become NLA or obsolete the cost to correct those issues is very prohibitive. 

Good luck 

Edited by fishnwiz

ShaunE

Ho much?

How clean is it?

That will tell a lot.  I have a Triad that has given me far fewer problems then the prized Command. 

If taken care of & modifications made, it can be a dependable engine IMO.  The problem you'll have is parts are being discontinued.  Oil pump rebuild components for starters.

Main problem -  Mechanical fuel pump integrated in the cam cover.  Remedy - remove fuel pump & install block-off plate with 90 degree barb fitting & add impulse fuel pump.  Ultra Black those covers back on so they don't leak.  The Command ones leak just as bad.

Next problem - Air filter.  Remedies are many.  Easiest is use a leaf blower to clean it after every use. Search the archives & read every post Al Eden wrote on the Triad.  It's worth it for the education.

Triads don't scare me if the price is right.  Like I said.  I've had more problems with the coveted Command than any other engine I've ever owned.

It only takes one bad engine experience to taint all of us.  Fishnwiz is a perfect example of that as of recent.

• Like 2

TimJr

I believe the valve cover with the fuel pump is obsolete too.  They had a tendency to warp, which led to oil leaks down into the cooling fins, which attracted and held lots of chaff, which caused overheating, which wrecked the engine.  I have heard of them having the sleeve move in the block due to the overheating.  I know of one where the piston started to seize to the sleeve, dragged the sleeve down toward the crank enough that the tip ring ended up slipping over the top edge of the sleeve, which then pulled the sleeve down into the crankshaft, causing spectacular damage.  The engine was basically running off the opposite cylinder while the one was destroying itself.  Debris also would get into the timing belt - bad things happened then too.  Also, the air filter not sealing well was a problem too.  Mechanically the engines are really neat and the valve train is pretty cool.  Just details of leaks leading to overheating and engine damage turned them into a real reject.

• Like 1

a_sannine

Bahmi

I know which one ur referring to , I know the guy he is as honest as it gets , unfortunately Triad nothing but trouble , I have owned two tractors with triad , honestly the  only reason i bought them for is the power steering that came on these tractors . both engine had issues , but I didn't care as I paid little

Edited by a_sannine

gravey72

I would buy at the right price and ready to do an engine swap or walk away. I bought one a few years ago and the owner was honest. He said the engine was junk but started and ran. He did repairs to get it running. I bought with the intention to replace the engine. I decided to try mowing with it since it started right up and seemed to run fine. A half hour later it started letting loose and threw a valve...

• Like 1

jimmystractor
25 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

FYI, a "new" CH620-3216 Command engine with driveshaft coupling spacers and muffler will cost you $2000, basically making the tractor worth nothing.

There are other options than a brand new command...

A good used command or a brand new predator motor from harbor Freight are much more affordable options to repower that tractor. 

If it were me, I would pass. You can buy a nice Sovereign with a command and power steering for around the $1k range. Be patient, check Craigslist daily and you will be surprised at what you can find!

Bahmi
On 6/27/2017 at 10:03 PM, a_sannine said:

Bahmi

I know which one ur referring to , I know the guy he is as honest as it gets , unfortunately Triad nothing but trouble , I have owned two tractors with triad , honestly the  only reason i bought them for is the power steering that came on these tractors . both engine had issues , but I didn't care as I paid little

My feeling was that the guy selling the tractor was honest after I suggested that he had to tell the complete truth about both his engine and the problems Triads have had. I was the driving force behind that and, to his considerable credit, he followed my suggestions and composed a disclaimer that told the complete story behind Triads in general as well as the one he was selling on his Simplicity. He was asking a grand for the tractor initially. It appeared pretty nice cosmetically. So, I have to give him credit, a lot of credit, for taking the road to integrity and truth. That said, I backed off with my former interest. He had good luck with his Triad, it was 18 years old when offered for sale. It may never have a typical catastrophic failure, but parts are going to become a real problem, even at this time. It's a dicey situation and I wish him the best.