Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horse Trading

Dutch

I myself am a firm beliver in horse trading, that is how I got most of my stuff, sure some things are worth more than others (i.e. trading a good mower deck for a set of pulleys and the such) I guess it is how much your willing to give for something you need, when these deals go well it makes you think how many more honest and decent people are out there in the world,-BradW

Dutch, I did a days welding for a local contractor years back, was about Christmas time. He asked if I be interested in swapping my labor for a welder he took on a bad debt. I went and looked at it and told him wasn't a fair swap, he only owed me about $400. He said If I was happy He would be happy. Happy, I was tickled to death!!!! I used that Miller Blue Star for 3 years of hard welding and sold it for $1200!!!! Oh Yea, I like to horse trade!! JoeJ[A href='http://www.oldwelder.com']http://www.oldwelder.com[/a]

Horse trading,boy you sure bring back some good memories Dutch.I think it all started back when i was just a kid.I think i traded every toy i owned.I got my first bicycle trading my wagon for it.Buying new does not put the same smile [Grin] on your face as a good old horse trade.--Ron B

You have convinced me, Dutch! Check out the "UNBELIEVABLE CC RRAZZZZY ART" swap deal in the for sale classifieds....thanks Art.

I think it can be fun especially if two parties are interested in swapping tractors/implements. I have found situations where neither was able to sell directly but by trading (with $$ to make up the difference) both (maybe even the wives/spouses) would be satisfied. I usually have too much of this or that anyway so I am always open to a trade idea. Steve

Horse trading is like playing a game. Each person walks away thinking he got the better deal otherwise neither person would have traded. Makes you wonder what things you own are really worth....MadManX

First words out of your mouth should be, "What do you really need right now?" Never know, maybe you have what the other guy wants....MadManX

Woody, You're right. Things you own are worth EXACTLY what you are willing to take and what someone else is willing to pay or swap. Like the guy who got a mutt at the pound for $2. Put an ad in the paper asking $10,000. Bragged that he got his price in the form of swapping for two $5,000 alley cats. I'm surprised there aren't more "swap" offers in the "for sale" and "want ad" sections. Us guys have other interests besides garden tractors. How about swapping an old radio for a plow? Or swapping a tractor for a pickup truck? Or a vac collector for a guitar? Maybe nobody thinks that belly grader blade is worth $900 in cash, but I'll bet someone would swap their $900 pink plastic flamingo collection.

Dutch, If you remember, I tried to swap that 7010 for a planer, jointer, bandsaw or drill press on this site. I did get 2 offers, both for smaller tractor swaps (717 and something else). No other tool offers though. A guy did offer me a Milwaukee 75th, or whatever, anniversary 1/2" drill motor in trade for a tiller. It was new in the case. Trouble was, I didn't need it so he ending up paying cash. Brent

I like and am generally open to trades when it comes to things I need or don't have. Last time I did a swap, I had a whole pile of bevel gear boxes for the older tractors laying around here. Had a local guy call needing one. I priced one to him for $100 or so. I went over to deliver it to him and he started to try and chew me down in price. While he was doing that I noticed he had a nice ball hitch attachment on his tractor. I asked him what he'd take for that. Not for sale was the answer, he needed it. I offered to swap the gearbox for the hitch(I didn't have one of those), even up. He went right to yanking it off the tractor. Who got the better deal? I don't know dollar wise, but we were both happy with what we got that day.. Incedentally a year later he blew the engine in the tractor and sold the whole thing to me for $75 cash. That sort of scenario has happened to me several times too... Les Krieffels is a skilled horse trader. I have battered back and forth with him on different things for two years now without ever making a deal, until today. We finally came to terms on a couple of items we each need so I'm taking a trip to Princeton tonight and finally get to meet him in person. SmilinSam