Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

High flotation tires

gretsch

Goodyear is still making them. The Kubota B7500 uses them - however, Kubota refers to them as "Bar Turf" tires. Look at your previous post about "high flotation tires" for more info. Jeff

If you want a tire that's less agressive than a lugged tire, but more agressive than the turf tires, (and you cant find the Goodyear Super Terra Grips in a 29x12.5-15) pick up any Four Wheel Drive magazine. Some of the Super Swampers and other large 4WD Truck "Mud" tires come in that size. I think anything in a [28 to 31] x [12 or 12.5]-15 would work. Just thought I'd throw that in as a suggestion. Paul

I have checked a few web sites showing high flotation tires but they have tread like turf tires. The high flotation tires shown on gallery pics have a more aggresive type tread. Does someone still make these type tires? It seems like that tread pattern should be available in different tire sizes also, re: 23-10.5-12, 29-12-15, ect...Any good advice?

I think that's a pretty good idea, Paul - and it would probably work pretty well. Of course, if you were looking to get out of the hole quickly with your PowerMax, you might consider a set of Kelly Super Chargers mounted on some Cragar S/S rims. ;o) Jeff http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=9160980&w=640&h=480

Yes the exact tire is available new. Look at a Kubota dealer and you will find some tractors with the same tires. Identify the manufacturer and then contact a tire store. But that tire requires a larger rim than the standard. Steve

Jeff, I wonder if the kid-greasemonkeys these days even would know what a Cragar SS or Keystone Classic rim is! There's something wrong with your pic though, ... not enough bolt holes. Paul

Busted! Good eye, Paul. The wheels are actually just leaning up against the tractor - thought it would make a cool photo! You're probably right - a set a Keystone Classis's probably wouldn't look right on a Honda Civic. I replaced the Cragar's on my Nova with a set of Monte Carlo / Corvette rally rims about fifteen years ago. I also got rid of the Gabriel Hijackers air shocks and Thrush mufflers at that time. ;o) Jeff

Was that the Hush thrush mufflers? I always liked the way they sounded on my 69 Elcamino. Anyway, I have looked up the Goodyear Terra's and they have standard turf-type tread, nothing like Jeff's ever present picture of his 4040. I have been looking at Kubota's recently and the tires I have seen are nothing like that either. Their bar tires are like my Sovereign's ag tires. Here's an address with a picture of th Goodyear Super Terra high flotation tires : http://www.goodyearag.com/tirecatalog/STGSize.html [A href='http://www.goodyearag.com/tirecatalog/STGSize.html']http://www.goodyearag.com/tirecatalog/STGSize.html[/a]

Paul, I guess you could say I am a modern "Grease Monkey" and yes I do know the Cragar SS rims and the Torq-Thrust "D" rims as I LOVE muscle cars and hot rods of the such! Personally I could never be considered with the minority group of "rice burners" as nothing sounds better than a '68 2+2 mustang fastback with a 428 cobra jet with 2 flowmaster 40's and that oh-so-sweet sound and smeel of roasted tires courtsey of a big block gas guzzlin motor! I just wished I was born alot earlier than '86 to see those babies in there glory! I guess I will just stick with the preservation of these classics, found a lovely 1978 mustang cobra 2 with t-tops and a incomplete 5.0 swap, guess it is time to drop a Simplicity for a cool car, heck, it might BE faster than my '86 ranger don't ya think?,-BradW

Brad, don't wish you were born long ago, just heard some specs on the new Mustangs and they should burn a little rubber. seems thier pushin 300hp outta like 180cu, of course they ain't gonna sound like no 428 but they might be to far ahead to hear it..there is a spark for your generation, we just gotta figure out how to deal with the free lunch generation that is so willing to give away the freedoms they did NOTHING for..Heads up to ya,,MPH

The new Mustangs get about 325HP outta 281ci or 4.6L. Supercharged they can get 500+ easy. I have seen a 1997 Saleen Mustang fitted with a 351 Windsor and twin T56 superchagers putting out 1250HP. The 428 was factory rated at 335 to fool NASCAR tech. inspectors but acually put out around 400. I personally like the 427 better, 425HP stock but then there's the Hemi 588 at 950HP. I love how these posts get so sidetracked!

Thanks for correctting my #'s Jord, I was in a shop getting the cams from my van miked for wear when I heard it and wasn't paying real close attention. Who made a 588 Hemi?

Thanks Tom. The McCord link does show a set of tires like the ones in Jeff's 4040 picture. They refer to them as Super Terra Grip Ag tires. I will try to reach them for more info. I guess the others I have found are Super Terra Grip Turf tires.

Marty, Dodge made the Hemi engines. There were 3 Hemis a 426, 588, and a 352 or something. Dodge is going to come out with a Hemi version of the 360 for their Ram trucks. Jordan

Jord, my dad had a 55 Desoto for years, rust finnally got it and he sold the I believe 292 Hemi to a racer for 1500 buck. The car had over 300,000 on it. Dad was smilin about til the he left this planet cuz he bragged about the miles to the guy who bought the motor. I've heard about the new one comin, might 'need; a new truck yet..MPH