Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 Belt/Pulley issue

mcd

I just recently acquired an old 7117H. This is my first tractor/mower so I'm just learning how to fix issues. The lift cable was broken when I got the tractor so I ordered a replacement online and put that in. One end of the new cable was different than the one it had on there but it still fit. Ever since I installed the lift cable I have been having issues with the drive belt slipping off track and therefore the blades don't spin. I finally got the belt to stay on for a little bit and cut some of the yard but the whole time I was noticing a weird noise I hadn't heard before. After the belt slipped off again I noticed that the idler pulley (I think is the correct name) was rubbing up against the pulley next to it (further towards the back of the tractor). It has seemed to rub so much that the idler pulley has no side wall any longer (picture attached).

Does anybody have any idea why this would be happening? Everything seemed to be fine before the replaced the lift cable. I had cut the lawn 5+ times without the ability to lift/lower the deck. Now that I fixed that issue I'm having this belt issue.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20170629_181849.jpg

Edited by mcd

In the photo...loosen that pulley bolt on the left and push that pulley over some.  You may have to release the pulley tensioner. It probably just loosened some and slid over. It is probably covered in grease or dirt but there is actually a sticker near that pulley and when everything is right, your pulley should be in the green portion of that sticker. 

I dont think this has had anything to do with the new hydro cable and is just coincidence.

I think you mean the pulley on the right.  The Black one.  Loosen the nut.  It's held on with a carriage bolt & it's in a horizontal slot for adjustment.  As stated above, there should be a sticker that is red & green between the two pulleys.  It's probably dirty & you can't tell it's there now.  Adjust so it's in the green when the linkage lever is pulled back.

On that tractor, the pulley on the left is also adjustable.  It has two holes it can go into. One aims the pulley more to the front of the tractor for driving a snow blower or other front attachment, the other hole points the pulley more towards the mower deck or center of the tractor.  Although they ususally will function in either location, the belt does not ride correctly and wears or eventually will jump off.  That might be an issue here too.  9/16ths nut and bolt is what holds it in place as I recall. 

As others have said above, it might be the adjustment of the rear pulley.  Here's a pic showing the slot for the rear pulley adjustment and you can also see part of the "red-green-red" sticker that shows the belt is properly adjusted:

IMG_4788.thumb.jpg.301d9f0b17878f8db61f64f3f1c66e82.jpg

But I'm thinking you might be mowing with the deck raised now that you have a new lift cable.  This could be the cause of the problem you are now experiencing. 

The deck is designed to be completely lowered (slack in lift cable).  The rear of the deck rides on the rollers.  The lift cable is only used for transport.  These decks will not mow high by todays standards.  You're lucky is you get 3" cut height (and that's with everything perfect - rollers, roller bar, etc).

If you don't have a manual for the tractor, go here:

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

Click on the "Tractor" box and put in your tractors MFG#, which is probably 1690571 (the MFG# is found on a black/silver sticker).

And welcome to the club.

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

As others have said above, it might be the adjustment of the rear pulley.  Here's a pic showing the slot for the rear pulley adjustment and you can also see part of the "red-green-red" sticker that shows the belt is properly adjusted:

IMG_4788.thumb.jpg.301d9f0b17878f8db61f64f3f1c66e82.jpg

But I'm thinking you might be mowing with the deck raised now that you have a new lift cable.  This could be the cause of the problem you are now experiencing. 

The deck is designed to be completely lowered (slack in lift cable).  The rear of the deck rides on the rollers.  The lift cable is only used for transport.  These decks will not mow high by todays standards.  You're lucky is you get 3" cut height (and that's with everything perfect - rollers, roller bar, etc).

If you don't have a manual for the tractor, go here:

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

Click on the "Tractor" box and put in your tractors MFG#, which is probably 1690571 (the MFG# is found on a black/silver sticker).

And welcome to the club.

Thank you for the picture. It helps a lot! I did try originally to mow with the deck lifted some but have since read that it is not intended to be done that way. I will have to find the deck adjustments and try tweaking it that way instead. 

I mow with my deck up quite often when cutting down trails on our property that have gotten out of control.  It looks like you had the belt right, but make sure flat back-side idler (bright one on the left) is in the tab that angles more towards the center of the tractor...I think it's the top one.  Loosen the tensioner and slide that rear V-idler back a bit to get some more tension, and you may be in business.  I've also had belts that once they got thrown once or twice and bound into the PTO, they never tracked the same after that.  If it was kinked, cut, abraded, or otherwise damaged, that may be your problem as well.  

Also just a thought.  There are two belt grooves in the clutch assembly above.  Make sure the mower deck belt is in the narrower of the two.  I believe it is the inner most groove.  The other is used for rear attachments & possibly a snow blower (I don't have a snow blower so I'm not sure about that.)

It is the inner groove.  To my knowledge, everything running in the middle or front of the tractor uses the narrower belts and the inner groove.  Rear attachments use wider belts and the outer groove.  

While you're in there, make sure those 2 idlers are spinning.  I put the washers on in the wrong order on the flat idler once and it would throw the belt immediately.  Same thing happens if you run the belt the wrong way off the pulleys to the deck, twisting it in the wrong direction.  

Make sure you have belt routed around correct side of mower pulley. If routed incorrectly, mower will operate backwards and still cut, poorly at best (actually it will beat the grass into submission with the back side of the blades) but this will cause the belt will track towards the outer edge of the idler pulley.

Thanks for all of the replies!  I cleaned the are off with some brake cleaner and then was able to see the sticker. I moved the rear pulley back a bit and everything lined up. Thanks for the tip on using the inner pulley on the rear pulley up top (mower pulley?). 

I also took the deck off, sharpened the blades and pressure washed the tractor as well as the deck. I don't think the bottom of the deck had ever been cleaned. I sprayed it down with some fluid film to protect it for now. I'll coat it with some rust proof paint over the winter.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by mcd