Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm sorry guys

tripleguy

I know it's not orange, but it followed me home. Honest!

Bought this last week from a guy who didn't know much about these tractors. I didn't either though - my first JD (1976). The original owner or someone down the line did a restore at one point. Not great but not so bad either. You at least don't feel like you can't use it. However, someone didn't know what they were doing as evidenced by the steering knob that was on backwards causing it to bind and rendering it useless. If you can't install that right, what else did you bugger up? It's an older one too as it's a little faded and all black with a faded, green deer logo. The motor fired up and ran good when I looked at it but when I tried to drive it the thing bucked, lurched, slipped and rode like crap in general. The deck was noisy and worked for snot too. I gave him what he was asking, $200, as I'm at least savvy enough to know the parts are probably worth that. The present owner was evasive about why he wanted to sell it, how much he used it, etc. I suspect he never could get it running correctly and wanted to get out of it. I don't think he owned it long at all. The tractor must have sat for a long time at some point. The back Goodyear tires have plenty of tread which makes me think they were put on for the restore but the sidewalls are all cracked on the back and fronts. The 10HP Kohler runs like a top though after some adjustment.

I got it home and cleaned and adjusted everything - PTO was way off, variator was not working but I found it was missing the spring that tensions the idler pulley. Gravity was providing what little tension existed. I cleaned and lubed the variator sheave with molly. I adjusted the brake, the drag link for the steering, adjusted the carb and installed a new deck belt. The variator belts and deck drive belt were new, courtesy of the seller fing32.gif Deck got adjusted, mounted and re-mounted about 5 times but it mows good now that it's leveled and the height is adjusted. Check the pics and tell me what you think - did I do OK for $200 tango_face_grin.png I bough this to replace an old Craftsman that my wife uses to mow trails in the woods behind out house (can't use the Simplicity for that!). This is almost too nice, I'm tempted to look for a beater but what might I need to spend to find a beater suitable for the woods?

First impressions: Takes a mile to turn - very wide radius but hey, it's a garden tractor, not a lawn tractor. Steering is tight and easy to turn. When you're under way, you'd swear it's got PS. Heavy at 700# without the deck. 1/4" steel in places and wheel spindles are 1". Drag link and other front end components are heavier than the Simplicty. Motor is quiet but deck is noisy - will need new spindles at some point. It's fast - too fast in 4th gear and the variator all the way forward (rated at 7mph). Granny gear (1st gear) is really slow but useful if you're pulling a heavy boat! Ride is decent - you sit high and the seat is comfy and sprung nice. All it all, I like it.

20170630_122553.jpg

20170630_164057.jpg

Edited by tripleguy

You got robbed.

I know how it feels to be taken so I am going to give you 250 and ease your pain.

I already have one of those ugly green ones so whats one more in my stable. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

You got robbed.

I know how it feels to be taken so I am going to give you 250 and ease your pain.

I already have one of those ugly green ones so whats one more in my stable. 

Thanks Wiz. As you know, I'd been looking for another old tractor for a while now to replace an aging Craftsman. I was originally (and probably still) looking for an older Bolens tube frame but when I saw the Deere come up, I had to look. It's always surprising, no matter the brand, what an old 10HP tractor with a gear transmission can do.

That tractor looks awesome and looks fairly well done, at least compared to a lot of the ones I see listed as "restored."  These tractors were overbuilt on the frames and under-built on the deck attaching components.  I just had one of these, a very late model 1987, model 214. I had to take the fender deck off three times to work on it. That is no easy task. I had to replace the brake hub and it was like you needed three hands to accomplish the task. Nothing like working on a Sovereign. That tractor really made me appreciate the design of the Simplicity tractors. I'd say you did good on price. I sold mine for more than twice what you paid. As far as the deck goes, you won't need to replace the spindles usually, they aren't even sold as a complete unit. You should be able to get by with replacing the bearings. 

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. I know what you mean about the deck attaching hardware. Just mounting and balancing the deck is an exercise that leaves one with bruised arms. I also need to upgrade the brake band at some point. I think I can fish it out without taking the pan off though - just the rear tire. I agree, deck will just get bearings.