Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking for left-hand fine bolts for my Homelite t-8 deck

BHagen

I finally got the bolts off my Homelite T-8 deck.  Two were 5/8 bolts, the center was 1/2.. and badly stripped.  I had to grind it down to the smaller size and finally got it off.

I headed to my local fastner supply place.. and they don't have any lefthand bolts.  I went to the John Deere place as well.. and they couldn't help me out either.

Does anyone know of a supplier for these bolts?  Its a fine threaded, left hand, 1/2 bolt.  I don't care about the head size, but 5/8 would probably be easier as I'll replace all three of them.

I tried amazon, but I'm not finding any.

I would have someone with a lathe make you one.  If that's all you need is one, you should be able to find a piece of 5/8" hex stock & have one made for not a lot of money.  You could always research the part # & start searching.

Let's clarify though...

Are you saying two of the bolts were 5/8" bolts?  Or the bolts had a 5/8" head?

And the other one was a 1/2" bolt?  Or 1/2" head?

Sorry.. all three were 1/2 bolt width.  Only the heads were different

1.5 inches in length

1/2 inches in width (at threads)

reverse, left hand, threaded. 

Fine threaded.  20tpi (a guess)

The only part numbers I can find online,

[28] - LM-16059-33: SCREW, Hex Cap, (L.H. Thread) 1/2-24 x 1-1/2

Edited by BHagen

1 hour ago, BHagen said:

[28] - LM-16059-33: SCREW, Hex Cap, (L.H. Thread) 1/2-24 x 1-1/2

That's Extra Fine.

I found 1/2-20 @ $30.00 per bolt but those you will most likely have to make or have made unless you can find an original.

I would check with any local machine shop close to you.  Or anyone you know that has a lathe.  

You could purchase the correct die, buy some longer 1/2" bolts, cut the threaded portion off them & re-thread them in reverse on the unthreaded portion with the die.

Guess you'll be putting a thread pitch gauge on it for verification.

1/2" should be 13, 20 or 24 threads per inch & now days it will have a 3/4" hex head.

1 minute ago, tadams said:

Did you do a search on the internet, someone out there carries them

Yes.. and Ive turned up nothing!  Believe it or not.. i can't find it.   Please try for yourself

You could try calling old Simplicity dealers and maybe they have some collecting dust on their shelves.

Or convert the threads to slightly larger right hand metric threads - M14 I would say (I think both coarse and fine threads are available).  You'd need to buy or borrow at tap a minimum and maybe the correct tap drill bit. 

If I read this chart correctly:

http://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/metric-internal-thread-sizes1.htm

If you use M14x1.25 threads, you could use a standard 1/2" drill (12.7mm) for the tap drill.  Maybe use M14x1.5 threads but the 1/2" tap is a little big (0.2mm).   I'd find the bolts before selecting the size. 

PS - Being curious, I did a 'net search and the only thing I found was a pack of 10 for $298!  (Probably what ShawnE found)

But I did find a ring gear bolt that might be what you want.  For some reason, the site won't let me post a link.  Do a search for:

UPC: 698231074954 and you should find it.

Maybe a stop at your local auto supply store might help solve your problem?

I'm assuming the number he posted is a Homelite #.  Is this an Allis built machine or Simplicity built machine?  If Allis built, is there an Allis cross reference #? Or Simplicity cross reference #?

4 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

But I did find a ring gear bolt that might be what you want.  For some reason, the site won't let me post a link.  Do a search for:

UPC: 698231074954 and you should find it.

Hmm.. i dont see any specs for those bolts.  Just application. Where did you see a size listed for those?

3 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

I'm assuming the number he posted is a Homelite #.  Is this an Allis built machine or Simplicity built machine?  If Allis built, is there an Allis cross reference #? Or Simplicity cross reference #?

Its a Homelite T8.   And the deck number is : 1600279

Can anyone cross reference those?

1 hour ago, BHagen said:

Hmm.. i dont see any specs for those bolts.  Just application. Where did you see a size listed for those?

I could find any size info.  That's why I suggested a visit to an auto parts store.

19 minutes ago, BHagen said:

Hmm... might have found a Briggs number for it: LM-16059-33

The "LM" numbers were Homelite numbers, but many times the same as Simplicity numbers.  The old Simplicity number was 1605933.  If you use that part number at Jack's you'll see it is now superseded to 2860213SM.  And before the "SM" was added as a suffix, the number was 2860213 (long history of subtle part number changes since the early '00's).  This will give you more part numbers to ask dealers.

I am not sure if they are the same size, but I believe that fine-thread left hand bolts were used for the blades on the 36" decks (and probably the 42" decks) from the 4000, 5000 and 6000 series lawn tractors (ie someting like the 4212 which is pretty common around here). I will make a quick check of the PartsTree diagrams and post back.

Update: I was wrong. Normal bolts ("capscrews") hold on those blades. Sorry!

Edited by TomSchmit

Another curiosity question.  

Are the arbor shafts (and bearings, etc) of these small frame decks larger than the large frame  decks of the same vintage?  I ask because the bolts that hold the large frame deck blades on are 7/16" dia vs 1/2".