Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410v engine replacement

dahunter

Hi, I've got 3410v that I traded for an old 243 rifle I had. It came with a snow blower and mower. The engine is getting tired as it smokes and burns oil. I soaked it with marvel for two days, cleaned all the electrical connections, and tuned the carb. It runs and mows, starts okay but I'm thinking it may need a new engine as I can't find a rebuild kit or other parts. Any one know of an engine that I could switch out that wouldn't take a lot of mods? I'm looking at a duromax 16 or 18 horsepower or a predator. any thoughts or helpful hints?

The cheapest place everyone is talking about for them is Harbor Freight, but you will have to check the heighth of the shaft from where it mounts you will probably have to build a plate to raise the engine a get a adapter for the drive shaft.

Welcome to the club.

I hope it wasn't a Winchester, Mauser or Sako...If it was, you got screwed.

If re-power is your wish, there have been several success stories with the Predator.  Search the archives to find step by step process.  

I think you'll also be surprised at what is still out there for a 10 hp. Briggs for parts if rebuilding is your wish.  No kits that I know of but individual parts are.  Plus there are plenty of good working 10 hp. Briggs engines still floating around as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. The rifle was an old savage I picked up and wasn't using anymore so I figured I needed a mower more than the rifle as I bought 30 acres for hunting.

FYI, the old B&S 10-16HP CI single cylinder engines are the same size externally. Briggs still supports parts for the 10 & 16HP engines, as they are currently produced in China. Check to see if your engine has been previously bored by removing the cylinder head to see if there is a stamping of 0.010, 0.020 or 0.030 on the top of the piston. The only oversize piston currently available from Briggs is 0.020 over. In regards to the crankshaft and connecting rod journal, hopefully the engine was taken care of and the journals are fine. If the journals are not fine, another option is a 0.020 undersize connecting rod, but they have been a NLA part for some time and they are hard to find. The other option is to purchase a new crank and standard connecting rod.

The new ones ye, all older briggs are basically the same block and will bolt right in if you find a good used one

anyone know if the predators and duromax have the same dimensions? I believe they are made by the same company.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unsure of the dimensions of the 3410 but a Predator 22hp fits with minor mods to the older 2010. I've fit a China diesel to a 3210v. That required more cutting and trimming to fit compared to the Predator 22hp in the 2010. Quickly looking for 3410 pics online it seems it has a longer nose to keep the muffler under the hood. The 22hp may fit in there with its front mounted muffler.

The trickiest part of the repower is making the driveshaft adapter and routing the throttle/choke cables.

Getting the crankshaft centered vertically was easy enough. I build a plywood riser to get it to the proper height.

Thanks, good information! I've looked at the predator 23hp but it's a little out of my price range right now. A swag on the height of the crank shaft on the briggs is about 7". The duromax is 5 ".  One of the reasons I was looking to see if the kohler had the same dimensions as the briggs

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:11 AM, dahunter said:

Thanks, good information! I've looked at the predator 23hp but it's a little out of my price range right now. A swag on the height of the crank shaft on the briggs is about 7". The duromax is 5 ".  One of the reasons I was looking to see if the kohler had the same dimensions as the briggs

The Predator 420 13 HP lists for $359 but they always go on sale for $300.  Watch your flyers.  You will have to raise it up as mentioned above.  See my post on "flywheel adaptor" in show and tell. 

• Like 1