Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old Faithfull (912h) RIP

hurleyii

Well guys I know I'm MIA very much but I work a lot. Today is the 3rd day this year for mowing for me maybe 4th. time. At 1pm today Old Faithful suffered a rod snap and passed doing her 2nd favorite thing next to tilling!

I guess it's time for project 7116 update to my Brigs 21hp vanguard.  

Just not how I wanted the project to begin. 

14991924193431698464041.jpg

1499192441911861573757.jpg

Don't bury it yet. Like a-sannine says; a repower is probably the easiest and quickest way to get it back in action. Lots of Kohler singles out there and a good opportunity to upgrade to a 14HP....Dave

As others have said, the engine may be dead but the tractor doesn't have to be. Definitely worth repowering.

Edited by Chris727

Well I'm not sure how things are tonight roll . I'm going to grab her carb and throw it 9n my 7112h and the battery . Maybe I'll try my 916 but I don't want that block to blow up. 

I'm piss3d though I bought a done fun Cadet with a 21hp Van guard and left hand cylinder has 60lbs of c9mpression guyscrewed me if it's not a valve lash issue

I suppose a guy should take the time to do a compression check before he buys?

I learned my lesson on my recent 7119 purchase.

• Like 1

Yea I will do that in future for sure. I never dreamed a 2 cylinder could run that smooth on one cylinder

Second what hirleyii said. Dad was mowing and he stopped early and  and brought the tractor in. He said he thought he blew the motor, it was running just as smooth as can be, the old KT19 broke the rod in half I wouldn't have believed him except for the oil and the hole in the block. Good luck with the repower.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at a Sunstar over in Eldersburg with the same issue, but for $300, I would have had to find a new motor that would fit. $1500 up for a repower kit from Honda or Kohler.

Repower is NOT a cheap endeavor to say the least.

Only way it seems worth doing to me is if your going to keep the project in question for your own personal use for a few years.

Had a 63 Chevy 250 that had a hole through either side of the block and it ran another half hour. Sometimes they will just amaze ya.