Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broken Axle on Powrmax 4041

Gaucho

Hey everybody, happy 4th of July. It's been a while since I've posted--been pretty busy--but now I've run up against a pretty big problem. I was using my 4041 with the front end loader pretty regularly on a project, moving a big pile of sand from one part of my property to another, when on one of my runs into the pile, I found that I wasn't going anywhere. I couldn't go forward or backwards. It turned out that my rear right axle had sheared off inside of the drop housing. 

First of all, has this happened to anybody else? I'll post pics later, but it looked like the break wasn't at any sort of a real stress point. I really wasn't doing anything crazy with it, just going into a pile of sand and getting a bucketful. So now the tractor is sitting in my front yard with the rear wheel sitting next to it, acting like the world's biggest lawn ornament. Does anybody have an idea about where I could find just the rear axle assembly? I've searched the internet and haven't found a whole lot. I've called a few parts places but it seems that nobody has what I need. I really don't want to buy a parts tractor if I can avoid it--although I may have to. I did take the axle parts to a machine shop, and at first it seemed like the guy was eager to machine a whole new axle to bolt onto the hub plate. But that was a while ago, and I don't know if this is a viable option anymore.

I was doing my daily search today and I found a rear drop housing assembly on ebay, but it was for an AC 616/Simplicity 4040. I know that the tractors are basically the same, but the plate that bolts onto the tire is round on the one I found on ebay vs. a squared off one on my 4041. My question on that would be are they interchangeable as long as the bolt holes line up? Has anybody done a rear end swap between the 616/4040 and the later tractors? Any advice would be appreciated.  

Search ebay for Simplicity Power Max, Simplicity Powermax, Simplicity 9020, Allis Chalmers 720...you should get a number of hits for finals for your tractor (newer than the 4040).

Contact Sandy Lake Implement. Chances are pretty good that they can fix you up with what you need.

John U

Can't believe someone on here hasn't spoken up I know of several with parts.

I have one but it's for my diesel project if it ever gets off the ground.

Acezilla on Ebay always has parts, located just south of Kansas City Mo.

Acezilla was who I bought the front axle and mower deck from. They put up with a lot helping get the stuff shipped.

I have an NOS one with the flats on it like you want.  Should be part number 175596.  It is still wrapped in the original rust proof cloth.  I unwrapped it for the pic.  I would sell it, including UPS to MI for $225.00.  Let me know if you would like more pics or info.  Tim

20160609_215518.jpg

20160609_215337.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sandy Lake had the axle and I just got it today. It turns out somebody had swapped a 4040 axle and bull gear for the 4041. So now I have the right axle but the wrong bull gear. Tim Jr., do you also have the bull gear, part # 175599 that goes with the axle?

Okay, thanks. I was able to find one on eBay.

So it turns out that somebody DID swap a 4040/AC 616 rear end on the 4041. It has the smaller axle and now I'm on the hunt for the drop housing which will accommodate it. At some point I should have enough parts for both a 4040 and a 4041!

I have a set of complete drop axles, one set off a 4040 and a set off a 9020 I believe but I'd have to look for sure 

If you could take a look that'd be great. I have the drop housing for a 4040 so I'd be interested in the 9020 if you have that. 

• 5 weeks later...

Gaucho: did you find your parts? And if so where? How much? Fast shipping? 

Phill : did you find the drop houseings? are you interesting in selling the drop housing if you have them.  Will they bolt on to a 4041. 

I was able to find the parts I needed. I found the rear assembly on eBay. $119 bucks plus shipping...not too bad. My tractor is up and running again--finally!

I'll post pics soon. I have a complete drop housing assembly for a 4041 if you're interested. Let me know.

IMG_20170720_100445200.jpg