Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Simplicity 7016H

mbinwi

Hi guys,

Back again.  Last fall, I acquired a 7016H.  The guy drives by my house daily on his way to and from work, and seeing the constant collection of tractors, in various stages of repair, he thought his old 7016 would fit right in.

It came with a snow blower, and a 42" mower deck.

During the weekend, the son and I started messing with it, seeing if we could get it started.  The first thing I noticed was a coil mounted on the side.  I don't think that is a stock item.  Everything checked out, carb was dry, oil ok, to start with, gas tank looked good, so I put in a battery, fresh gas, and gave it a try.  No spark.  I have yet to check the points.

Any ideas, or things to check, would be appreciated.  I haven't traced any wiring on the added coil, or check any grounds, and like I mentioned, I haven't checked the points.  From what I have researched, a magneto supplied the spark, so I'm sure the coil was an add-on. 

This is the first I've tried to do anything with this tractor, has it has been under a tarp since it was dropped off last fall.

I hope all had a great 4th of July weekend.

Mike.

PhanDad

Someone converted it to a coil ignition and probably abandoned the mag that's under the tin.

So "normal" points/coil" checks in order - +12v to coil, good ground, points opening and gapped correctly, good plug, etc.

• Like 1

a_sannine

File points / clean / gap to 0.20. As mentioned above power coil , negative side to points , check/gap spark and u should be good to go if ur carb not filled with gunk .

I own two 7016s great strong tractors

docs

Is it possible that someone has swapped the engine with a Kohler, 80's 7100 series models had Kohler engines had a coil mount on the side if I'm not mistaken. They were almost the same exact tractor except for the engine and a little different design on the hood and front of the frame.

Edited by docs