Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Bigstone

Allis 917 /712 question for the experts

Bigstone

Hi,

I mentioned some time ago I own a 917 hydro with a buster rear axle.  There's a 712H for sale close to me without a deck. Would I be able to swap the whole rear end from the 712 to the 917?  Will it detract from the value?  Or is there a better option out there?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dave

Brettw

As they are both hydros, you can swap them out.  Won't affect value, and no one but you would even know.  If the price is right on the donor tractor, there is no better option, IMHO.

Good luck!

PhanDad
44 minutes ago, Brettw said:

As they are both hydros, you can swap them out.  Won't affect value, and no one but you would even know.  If the price is right on the donor tractor, there is no better option, IMHO.

....unless the 917 has a hydro lift. Then there are some issues charge pump pressures. There's a fairly recent post about the issues and solutions.

Even if you face this complication, I agree with Brett that a swap is usually the easiest/best option. 

B-16_IC

Other than the aforementioned hydro lift difference there is also the left side plate that attaches the transmission to the bgb.  The two series have distinctively different idler pulley setups for the deck belt. The 900 series is a superior setup so I'd stay with it. If the 700 is clean looking and leak free, go for it. 

Bigstone

B-16_IC sir,

Well  I went and bought the 712 without seeing your post.  The tractor runs decent and came with two decks.  One's shot with good spindles the other deck is good with needing spindles.  $175 so I thought it would be worth that.    Now I have to decide what I want to do.