Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 917 /712 question for the experts

Bigstone

Hi,

I mentioned some time ago I own a 917 hydro with a buster rear axle.  There's a 712H for sale close to me without a deck. Would I be able to swap the whole rear end from the 712 to the 917?  Will it detract from the value?  Or is there a better option out there?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dave

As they are both hydros, you can swap them out.  Won't affect value, and no one but you would even know.  If the price is right on the donor tractor, there is no better option, IMHO.

Good luck!

44 minutes ago, Brettw said:

As they are both hydros, you can swap them out.  Won't affect value, and no one but you would even know.  If the price is right on the donor tractor, there is no better option, IMHO.

....unless the 917 has a hydro lift. Then there are some issues charge pump pressures. There's a fairly recent post about the issues and solutions.

Even if you face this complication, I agree with Brett that a swap is usually the easiest/best option. 

Other than the aforementioned hydro lift difference there is also the left side plate that attaches the transmission to the bgb.  The two series have distinctively different idler pulley setups for the deck belt. The 900 series is a superior setup so I'd stay with it. If the 700 is clean looking and leak free, go for it. 

B-16_IC sir,

Well  I went and bought the 712 without seeing your post.  The tractor runs decent and came with two decks.  One's shot with good spindles the other deck is good with needing spindles.  $175 so I thought it would be worth that.    Now I have to decide what I want to do.

Sounds like you got a great deal for your money. Work the two together and you'll have a great setup.